Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Oh, what to do!!!
Okay, I'm in a quandry. Here's the deal:

I've been tutoring my mom's neighbor for almost a month now. He took his test today, and passed. Now he is going to the fourth grade. We had to take all of the work he's done up to this point to his teacher, and she said that she noticed marked improvement in his work, especially his writing (which I pounded into his head). However, he did not pass with flying colors. Overall, he really wasn't on grade level, and was actually closer to second grade level on most of it. Since he had made so much improvement in such a short time, though, they said he deserves a try. If he fails the fourth grade, though, he fails the fourth grade, no contract and second chance this time. Therefore, if he wants to pass the fourth grade, which WILL be hard for him, he was sternly warned that he will have to work equally as hard as he did this summer (with me) during the school year so he can keep progressing and hopefully do much better this year. Thus begins my problem.

As you may know already, I've started to work at Pizza Hut with Julia. It's fun, for the most part. It has its positives, like discounted and sometimes free pizzas, working with Julia, and only having to work four days a week. It also has some negatives. For instance, it's going to kill our cars, and it will get costly in gas. My schedule will probably change around here and there, so I'll never know exactly what days I'll be working each week. Even when I do work, I don't know when I'll be cut, and consequently, I'll never really know how much money I'll be making and if it's enough, also since I'll be working for tips. As well, there's the whole safety issue, which is why Trey and my mom didn't want me to do it to begin with. This is stuff I already thought about before I started, but at the time I just really needed a way to make money while I'm prego, and it's not like too many places want to hire someone six months pregnant, and there aren't that many jobs I can really do right now.

Then there's my other job offer. It's to keep tutoring my mom's neighbor kid, and a family friend's kid, and watch them after school everyday for about 4-5 hours. The pluses are that I would know how much money I would be making each week, and basically what hours it would be. I could work it out to where I watch them and keep my kids around, so I wouldn't necessarily have to get my mom to watch them. These kids would be a little easier to watch b/c they are older, so it wouldn't kill me as much as it did when I was watching kids in Columbia. Plus, it's later in the day, so I wouldn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn, either. Then, of course, there are the negatives. The mom is, ummm, how you say...pushy, and pretty demanding, and, like my mom said, could very easily turn this into something more w/o even a thought. I don't know the other kid, and he could be Satan. It would be five days a week I was committed to, and that's a lot. Plus, there would likely be teacher workdays, which I could probably handle alright, and school breaks, which would suck.

So I don't know what to do. Now, of course, the latter job would all depend on whether or not they agreed to my price and specifics. I have decided that if I go along, they would have to have a back-up plan for when one of my kids is sick, or when I want to go out of town, and when I have the baby. They would have to pay me more for school breaks if I watched the kids all day. Stuff like that, and I'm sure there's more I should say. I just know that as annoying as these people are to me, it really excited me to see that he had made progress in such a short time working with me. I won't deny that the kid is hell to work with, but the thought of being able to teach him more kinda excites me. It's the whole reason I went into teaching, special ed. even!

I'm so torn. What do you think? I just don't know what to do. Trey seems to think I should, but shouldn't. My mom and Bo seem to think I shouldn't. I just don't know.
 
posted by Christi at 12:22 AM | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At 1:56 AM, Blogger Kurt

    I don't think you can overestimate the toll that pizza delivery takes on your car. Plus if you got in an accident, your insurance could go up. Just a thought.

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger karla

    I think the teaching gig sounds like a wonderful opportunity (not that working with Julia doesn’t come with its own perks, but you know what I mean), especially since you’ve mentioned before that you want to home school your own kids.

    I think in any case, you will have your hands full, but the teaching gig totally sounds up your alley. I think you are on track making sure the specifics are spelled out (like extra pay for vacation days etc). With a firm requirements contract in place that the mom must sign, you would be protecting yourself from any unreasonable demands the mom dreams up, and, because this is still a business deal, help ensure the ‘scope’ of your ‘project’ stays on track.

    I guess what it really comes down to is how steady of an income you need and what works best for your family.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Unknown

    The way you put it here, it sounds like the teaching job is the way to go. I just couldn't put up with the way this woman treats you. The whole situation where you drive all the way out there, wait around, and they don't show up and insist you come on Saturday just sucks. If you stick with it please don't let her push you around. Other than that, it sounds like working with Benny makes you happy.

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger gina

    i would do the tutoring ONLY (not the watching the kids after school!! NO WAY! you are going to have a newborn and two toddlers of your own!) and maybe deliver pizza 2 nights a week after your baby is a bit older. i repeat do not babysit!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger MiMi

    Something y'all aren't aware of with the tutoring situation--the family is Vietnamese and there is a distinct language barrier with the dad. The mom is a little better, but is still hard to understand. You can tell her what YOU want, but she already has her mind made up as to what SHE wants and so she pretty much ignores what you're saying (whether she understands it or not). She also has no conscience when it comes to demanding whatever she wants--too bad if you have a family or plans or something comes up... Also, she had to sign a contract with the school stating that she would work with her son during the summer so he could be promoted. She did NOTHING, except find somebody else to do what she had agreed to do. So I don't think a requirements contract would mean doodly to her--she'll agree to anything then do what she wants. We just think the tutoring/babysitting thing could morph into a real monster...

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    i think you should sleep on it. and by on it i mean with Trey.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger holy chaos

    i think gina had a good idea. also, do you think you could find other work as a tutor? meaning other kids down the road whose parents may be a little easier to work with? could you spread the word at your church or other places?

    Natalie

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger gina

    you could always work for joy at tutor connection.. humm???

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger holy chaos

    another great idea, gina!

    natalie

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Carrie

    I'm not here to tell you how to make extra money. anon seems to be doing just fine with that.

    a school year is a long time, momma. and you're going to be having a baby come november.

    I would not agree to watching the other child until you interview him first.

    just try to remember that even though you need money.. these people whether the tutoring bit or the pizza hut need YOU, and what YOU can do for them.

    figure out what your wants and needs are, and hold to them tightly. and do NOT let the mother bully you around. language barrier or not.. if you do teh tutoring, make sure the expectations of you and the student and monetary etc are laid out clearly ahead of time, and stick to your guns.


    but as others have mentioned.. why not look into a third option, which would be tutoring someone else? good luck, momma.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    Maybe you need to do two things %#8212; or try at least. #1, Resolve things with that mother. If you can't, that's an answer. #2, Meet that potential demon spawn and decide for yourself. Good luck with this. I don't envy you your decision.