Wednesday, March 09, 2005
National Women's Day
I realize that I'm a day late, now, but yesterday was National Women's Day. So, if you are a man, or a woman for that matter, do take a moment to say something nice to your fellow woman. It's not too late.

The reason I am a day late is b/c yesterday I had this long, lovely post written up, and I was seconds away from finishing it, when I noticed some dust on the F5 key. Why I noticed this is beyond me, but it bothered me, so I went to wipe it off. Don't ever wipe your F5 key off while you are posting, b/c it wipes out everything, never to be found again! Now, this is not the worst part. The worst part is that I have done this several times before, the exact same way, the exact same reason. Soooo, last night after I finished my fit, I proceeded to wipe the F5 key off very well, until it was shiny. Did I get the rest of the keyboard? Oh no! So I'm sure I'll be finding out soon what happens when you press the F4 key while posting!

When I called last night to see how TJ was doing, he informed me that he's getting a goldfish and a turtle. His exact words: "I gettin' a gol-fissss. I gettin' a turtle, toooooo." Undoubtedly he watched Stanley at Nana's house, and made this decision and let her know. When asked what he was going to do with the gol-fissss, he replied that he was going to eat it. Hmmmm....Well, I thought those animals would be alright. Today I told the teachers around me about it, and Mr. James pointed out that turtles have lots of germs and carry diseases, and that's it's illegal to sell them in SC. So, turtle out. I can handle the gol-fissss, as long as he doesn't eat it! I love TJ!

So I had a teacher moment yesterday that made me sad about the prospect of leaving. A student who wouldn't do anything in my class when he first came, has done a turn-around. I noticed one day that he was doing some graffiti looking stuff on the paint thing on the computer. It was not gang related (against school rules), so I allowed it. Plus, I like the way graffiti looks, at least when it's not bad. I thought he might be interested in art, so I asked him about it. I had checked his schedule and he was in PE. He really wanted to be in art. I pulled some strings and got him in. He was so happy! Another student was talking trash to him about me yesterday, as he is commonly found doing (it's b/c he loves me so much!), and he came back to him. He told him I was cool b/c I went out of my way to get him into art. Yes, I realize this is minor as far as big moments got. However, it was sweet, and I was so happy that I could do something so special for him. What's best is that now he works in my class, and we get along pretty well. Another student whom I've been working for a long time on now sings this song everyday when he comes in, b/c he knows it gets on my nerves...It says, "Christina is too stupid, and Keisha lies too much. I'll guess I'll stick with Rhonda, cause Rhonda don't give a...." Well, you figure it out. I know it sounds really silly, but I love that he does that, b/c he likes to rattle me a little. Not only does he like to see me rant and rave about why I have to be the stupid one, but he likes to watch my eyes get big when he gets to the end and I'm waiting to see if he uses profanity. I figure if we hadn't bonded at least a little, he'd be like he was at first where he would cuss me out if I even tried to talk to him. Don't get me wrong, I have those special teacher moments, too, where they actually learn something. I will miss these times, though, once I'm gone.

Well, I must be off now. My boys are about to wake from their naps, and I must be there to love on them! Hope you all have a wonderful day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 4:32 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    F5 is a shortcut to refresh the page. It's like hitting the refresh icon on your toolbar. I think you'll be okay when you hit F4.

    Glad your teaching has given you some positive experiences. Occasionally there are moments.

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger gina

    We had a turtle, Sammy, in our fish tank for a long time. He was sooo cute-had a grumpy little face. Finally we got rid of it because he turned our fish tank into a swamp and got too big. Sammy now lives over by you, in Harbison Duck Pond. We go visit him often- the kids swear they see him every time. BUT i tell ya, my friend's kid (Joy, remember her from chick-filá ?) got really sick when he held Sammy. Later we found out turtles carry SALMONELLA!! so i always freaked out when wes changed the water in the tank. Stick with goldfish- they are germ free. Btw, we like Stanley too.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Losing a post is so frustrating!!

    I'm glad you had a good moment at school.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger karla

    Illegal to sell turtles? I've never heard of that. Can't say I would love cuddling with the little reptiles, but I didnt realize they were little disease monsters!

    Just make sure TJ doesnt flush his fish down the toilet like I did when I was little ok? ;-)

    That's wonderful that your student stood up for you! It must really make you proud that he respects you so much doesnt it?