Thursday, March 03, 2005
Happy Birthday, Dr. Suess!
Today was Dr. Suess's birthday. Hooray! He was such a wonderful writer, and did such great things for children and adult readers everywhere! So, to commemorate his birthday, I started class today with a reading of Oh, the Places You'll Go!. What a great, inspirational and motivational book! If you haven't read it before, you definitely should. Even my students, with the exception of first period, got into it. The ones that sat close to me even tried to read along with me! At the end, it said to never get your right foot confused with your left, and you could see the students looking at their feet trying to make sure they knew the difference! It really made for a great day. I love that book! Those of you with kids really should invest in this book. I, personally, had to borrow it, and upon thinking about it, realized how sad I am that I don't own my own copy! I must change that, and soon! TJ needs inspiration in his life!

Speaking of TJ, I went to get him today from Lancaster. When I got there he was jumping (yes, jumping!) off of the top of his toybox! I have to say, as much as it scared the living daylights out of me, he was doing a very good job at it! I swear, that child keeps getting older and older each day! We stopped at Subway on the way back home b/c I thought I would die if I didn't get some food, and he flirted with the girl that worked there. My son, barely a whopping two years old, and already a total player!

Oh, so we just finished watching the movie Paparazzi. You must see this movie. It was directed by Mel Gibson, but I don't think it got too much play or did too well in theaters. I'm assuming it was even in theaters. I rented it basically b/c it was directed by Mel Gibson, and I figured it must be good. I mean, look at his last movie! It was TOTALLY different than the Christ movie, but still great! This guy becomes famous, and the paparazzi are all over him, turning everything in his life into a scandal. He punches one of them one day when they take pics of his kid playing soccer, and the guy's buddies are taping it. He is crushed by the tabloids as some evil guy, and the game is on. It was good, and I wasn't expecting the ending. I have to say, it hit on some moral issues for me, but after all, it was just a movie. I do have some different feelings about tabloids and magazines now that have all kinds of candid pics of celebrities in them. I hadn't thought about what must be done to get those pics. I always wonder how they get pics of them getting gas and walking down the streets and stuff. I really think I may just stop looking at that stuff from now on. It doesn't seem right, and who the hell really cares about the lives of celebrities, anyway? I'll just stick to the Behind the Music's and shows like that when I want to learn more about celebrities. Then it's only what the celebrity approved, right? Of course, I'm sure those are all evil, too. Anyway, you really need to see this movie. Scary stuff!

Alrighty then, I must be going now. If you get a chance, you should add a little joy to your life soon and read a Dr. Suess book! They are all just so much fun! Have an awesome day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 12:26 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger gina

    my mom and dad inscribed that book for my college graduation- it was sweet. good book for your kids. blake made a Dr.Seuss hat yesterday at school. i took a pic of him in it for you... now if i could just get hello picture thing to work .
    eww i am addicted to people and us. not sure why. i maybe should watch papparazzi.
    tj is a playa!! he loves to flirt. so cute! those eyelashes he bats... umm umm...

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I didn't know it was his birthday. I'm going to check that book out next time I get to the library.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Kim

    I love Dr. Seuss! When my daughter was younger we would go to the mall they had a big celebration and fun for the kids. She refuses to go now : (
    I dont think I've read that book I'll have to check it out at the library.
    I havent heard of the movie "Papparazzi" I'm sure my husband has he is a movie fanatic!
    I'm like Gina love those Mags! Nosey girls! : )

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger karla

    Hey! That reminds me...my mom has been storing all of my childrens books from when I was little for they when I finally had a baby. I think she has the whole hard cover Dr. Suess collection! Hurray!

    My absolute favorite childhood book was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Ever hear of it? It was a car that could fly!

    So are you going to buy a TJ a little cape now so he feels like superman or batman while leaping off all your furniture? ;-)

    Oh...did you try the new toasted sub at Subway? Are they any good? No subs compare to Quiznos tho! mmmm....getting hungry just thinking about them!

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger LK

    Anyone who loves Dr Seuss so much that they know his birthday is pretty cool.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Christi

    I love Dr. Suess, but I only know b/c it's on the little monthly calendar I print out to use for our classroom behavior plan. As a matter of fact, yesterday was National Anthem Day. Too bad I missed it! For anyone who cares, though, Big Bird's Birthday is on March 20th, as well as the first day of spring.

    Karla, I haven't had the toasted subs from Subway yet. I actually don't go there much anymore. I like Quizno's, though. There's a place here called Firehouse Subs, that sells subs that are hot like that, and I could live off of them! They are so DELICIOUS!