Monday, February 21, 2005
LONG day!
So today was a long day...as usual. I thought I would come home relatively early and get to just chill by myself for a while. No such luck! Oh well. It's now 9:37, and I just got home about 5 minutes ago.

So I was thinking last night, as I watched The Simpsons, what a great show that is. For one, there is no real plot, ever, and really no lesson to be learned, if you are truly enjoying it for what it's worth. Just mindless entertainment. However, it's smart funny, and you don't feel like an idiot afterwards for having watched it. What I love the most is that the first ten minutes of the show usually have pretty much nothing to do with the rest of it. Like, take for instance, last night's episode. Marge got her kitchen remodeled b/c she liked the one she saw next door at their open house. Okay, fair enough. You would think then that the kitchen would burn down, win her awards, or something. Nope. She did cook something in her kitchen, and then enter a cooking contest. After that, you don't see or hear about the kitchen anymore. So, like, why did they even mention the kitchen? Why? Because it's The Simpsons, and they rock like that! If there is someone out there who disagrees with me, and can honestly say that they don't like the Simpsons, I would be interested to hear from you. I can't see how, but I guess everyone's different.

So we went to this birthday party on Saturday, right. This woman at work has a grandson that just turned two, and she has been dying for me to meet her daughter-in-law. She told me to come to the party, and finally I just broke down and said yes. I figured I would finally meet her and make her happy, and who knows, I might even make a friend. So I go to this party full of people I don't know, and we have a decent time. TJ seemed to really enjoy himself, but I think that was mainly b/c he found a toy he really liked that belonged to the little boy with the birthday. He enjoyed, also, arguing with a tennish year old boy about Elmo. The boy kept saying that when you mix an elephant and Elmo, you get an Elemo (get it?). TJ would say, "NO! It's ELMO!" My kid has become quite bossy...Anyway, back to the story. So I'm at this party, and everyone's being quite nice to me, especially considering they have no idea who I am. I would have thought my fellow co-worker would have kinda stuck with me more, but no...I had a pretty good time. I even got to talk to the old grandma who sat on the couch the whole time, and went on and on and on and on, etc. about I have no idea what. Great stuff! One girl offered to give me all of her daughter's old baby clothes. Cool. It was nice. However, when I left, after telling the daughter-in-law that we should get together sometime, I knew that I will never see her or talk to her again. I felt fine with this, but I feel kinda bad, too. I know that I don't want to hang out with her, b/c, well, and this sounds really bad, but she is not smart enough. As I was talking to her, and her friends, it was fun to talk about our kids. Fair enough. That is something that someone with kids can do easily with others, especially kids the same age. However, I could tell by what I would overhear, and some of the stuff that she said to me, that we are on way different levels. Her lifestyle is completely different from mine. I feel like if we were to hang out, after talk of the kids was over with, I would not be able to carry on an intelligent conversation with her. Does this sound bad? I mean, I know it's being a bit judgemental on my part. I don't mean to say that I didn't like her, or that she is necessarily beneath me. I just know that I could not be comfortable around her, or have fun with her, b/c her level of intellect is much different from mine. For instance, I looked in her kid's room, and saw his books he had. He had entire sets of fun little books (and I gave him books for his present), and not a one was even touched. I picked on up, and it creaked when I opened it. It appalled me to think that she doesn't read to her kid. No doubt she has talents that I could never dream of, but I think we are on different levels. So, do you think that I was being too judgemental, or that this is justifiable? I would hate to think I have given up a chance to make a new friend b/c I am being egotistical or too high on my horse. I have been trying desperately to stop judging other people so much.

Anyway, I must go now. I'll try to see what you guys have written today, and then I'll hit the sack. Ta-ta for now! Have a smashing day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 9:56 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I love The Simpsons too.

    I guess it's judgemental, but I've felt the same way about certain people. Some people are brainier than others, and that's just a fact.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    You can't be "a fit" with everyone, and you can't help forming opinions. Just like a have a rather low opinion of The Simpsons. :) Five seconds of those ugly characters and their squawking voices sends me over the edge. People tell me that the episodes are witty and funny, and I believe them, but I won't watch them. But there's not a lot that I do watch, I suppose. Chacun son gout.