Friday, March 04, 2005
Teachers ROCK!
Well, mainly just those that call in on Fridays and Mondays, and cause us to have to not have regular classes b/c there are too many teachers out! It's actually quite sad, if you think about it, just how little education our students get at our school, since we are always holding them for movies. It's only really been this last few weeks it's been this bad, but I fear it's only going to get worse. Our school has been on a downhill slope for a while now, and the momentum is now growing. The students know they are in charge, and so do the teachers. The JCO's have begun a battle with the teachers over who is in charge (even though at least we know it's the kids), b/c they think it should be them. (ex.-Just the other day a JCO came into my room about five times to yell at a kid--we are required to keep our doors shut--for wearing his hat in my classroom. I didn't have a problem with it, in MY classroom, and all he did was disturb the class. Finally I just told him to take it off and leave it off so he'd stop coming in!) Teachers don't see the point of being there anymore, and when they are, they don't see a point in getting there on time, b/c no one really cares (and though she says she does, she doesn't follow through on any sort of discipline for it). The students told me the other day that the riot that was avoided the other day hasn't been cancelled. They are just going to have it another time. I was wondering how that worked. I didn't think they would just say, "Oh, well, they held us in classes. I guess we don't hate each other anymore." I say this not in a bitching sort of way, but more of a scared sort of way. If something were to happen during first period, I can't really say I'd feel comfortable with my students. We were told Wed. that if there was a riot to lock our doors from the outside, and keep our kids in. Ummm, I have some kids in there from Charleston, who are BIG into the gangs, and I'll be damned if I'm holding them in! As well, they like me the least, aside from fifth. However, in fifth I have a couple who I honestly think would make sure I was cool. The rest of my classes I am not worried about. I don't particularly want to be stuck at school during a riot situation, though. Especially since now I can't really move very quickly. Oh, but back to my original thought...I love it when teachers call in like that (we were missing about 13-15 today), b/c I really wasn't feeling in the mood to teach today, and I got to see Raiders of the Lost Ark and Remember the Titans. Great movies! Oh, and I got to chat on email all day!

So that was not how I actually planned on starting this post. So negative. Let me start again...I have the funniest story to tell you! Yesterday, we went to Wal-Mart and TJ found this little plastic gun laying on the ground that went click, click, click. Very annoying, but he loved it (not cool with that!) and it kept him occupied while we shopped. He was shooting at everything! As we were walking through the clothing section, Trey said, "TJ, go blow Mommy's leg off." TJ put the gun down, walked up to my leg, and blew with all his might! It was the funniest thing in the world! I started laughing, and Trey was like, "What are you laughing at?" So I said, "TJ, go blow Daddy's leg off." He walked up to Trey's leg, blew as hard as he could, and it was all I could do to stay standing up I was laughing so hard, as was Trey. I cried I laughed so hard! You have to love that innocence! That's why I'm going to have ten kids! Who would ever want to lose those moments!

As for my pregnancy, I have sciatica now. How exciting! If you've ever pulled a muscle in your butt and entire leg, imagine how that felt, times ten, and ALL THE TIME! I can't get this child to move, and it HURTS! Karla, I believe it was you who talked about the exercise where you lay on your hands and knees on the floor and stretch, I think. If so, just know that I have been doing those just to be comfortable for a few minutes this afternoon and evening! Fun stuff! My biggest fear is that my child will come out just as much a pain in the ass (perhaps literally) as she was in the womb!

Okay, that's quite enough for one day. I hope you all have a great day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 11:27 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown

    That is pretty scary about the riots. Cute TJ story.

    I've heard chiropractors can do wonderful things for sciatica. I've never had it, but it sounds awful!

    I got an update on Tim B, the old clarinet genius. I don't know if I should do the whole last name thing on the internet, so you know who I mean. I was talking with a guy who is friends with his brother, Chris. He said Tim is doing some amazing research at some prestigious university. He is getting paid more than $30,000 a year told to go to college and work on his post-doctorate degree. Something like that. It sounds like he's doing really well.

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Blogger karla

    I dont think I have ever had a sciatic pain, but Mark used to complain about that when he would carry his wallet in his back pocket. He called it "soreasstica"!

    Lets just be happy we dont bear children in our butts! Could you imagine?

    There were some great stretcy positions in that mayo book in the preparing for labour section I think (cant check for sure...the book is in the bedroom and Mark is alseep). There is that pelvic tilt thing you are talking about in there. I was doing it last night.....I know, I'm a loser sometimes, but gotta get that pelvis ready to get this kid out!

    My shower is today, and we're heading up north this morning to go see my family! I'll take lots of pics.

    Have a great weekend.

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Christi

    Pictures, HOORAY! I know you'll have lots of fun today. How thrilling for you! I can't wait for mine!

    I just finished doing that pelvic thing, and it doesn't work anymore! I am comparing the pain right now to labor, so maybe I am giving birth from my butt. I sure wish I could just take out a wallet...

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger gina

    this too, shall pass. quickly, i pray!! poor thing. feel better!

    aunt gina, anti-gun, was not amused! LOLOL j/k. tell trey NOT to tell my nephew to blow mommys leg off. that is all we need.

    all this riot talk has me crazy! are you going to be okay? surely there are a bunch of kids that will make sure you are okay. you seem to have built a good comaroderie (sp?) with them;

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    What in blazes is a JCO?

    Is your school a special needs/vocational type of school?

    Are you still talking to me? ;)

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Karla, you're not a loser. I practiced for labor with yoga. I think it helped a lot.

    She works at the state juvenile prison's school in the special ed department.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Christi

    Well, Anvilcloud, Julia about summed it up. A JCO is a Juvenile Correctional Officer. Supposedly, since we have security at our school, we are safer than regular schools. NOT! We also have walk-through scanners and the students are patted down each day as they go in and out of school. Does that stop anything? No. They steal so much stuff, like printer cartridges for tattoos, oh, and my favorite, a 64 ounce bottle of hand sanitizer went out w/o a blink! Our JCO's don't care. Ooops, went off on a tangent there. Yes, I'm still speaking to you.