Sunday, June 18, 2006
My American Idols...
There are two men I love more than anything in this world. They are my true American Idols. It seems fitting to mention this today, being that it is Father's Day, and they are both fathers in my life.

The first is Trey. He is such a great guy in every way. He puts up with me and all of my strangeness, as well as my moods, and still keeps coming back for more everyday! He is a super dad to our children, and my only regret is that he can't spend more time with them. They adore him to death. He's obviously good in the bedroom, too, or chances are, I wouldn't keep spitting out these kids! I really love and appreciate his work ethic, and think that once the kids are old enough, they will learn a lot from it. I hate that he has to work so much, but he goes back, day in and day out, and does his best every single day, even w/o the much deserved recognition. Unlike me, who would call in if I was just feeling out of it, or if Trey said let's hang out, he won't even go in five minutes late...not even if I promise candy! He is a really hard worker, and it shows in the respect he garners from everyone around him. I even love him b/c we compliment each other so well. He's quiet, I'm not, it works. We're both sarcastic and have similar senses of humor, so we just get each other. I feel blessed to have met him, since he really is NOTHING like any guy I ever dated or even thought about dating before! What a catch! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, TREY!!!

The next is someone I doubt I've spoken much about on here, if at all. He's someone I've known my whole life, and whom I get a little choked up to even think about anymore. I found a picture of him today while packing that just made me want to cry. In the picture, which was taken about 8+ years ago, he was lucid and healthly looking, and had a great big smile on his face. I miss that in him. He was the funniest and smartest man I knew growing up, and I loved every minute I got to spend with him.

The "he" I speak of is my grandaddy. As some of you who know me already know, he is in the most extreme stage of Alzheimer's now, and it is not even possible to communicate with him anymore. I hate that I don't want to go to see him, but it just upsets me so much to see such a great man brought down by such a terrible disease.

In my life, I have never respected anyone as much as I respect Grandaddy. He was no high and mighty famous person, but to me, he did great things in his life, and had the wisdom to prove it. I mean, really, what else can I say about a man who raised my wonderful mommy, who then raised wonderful me? Ummm, look at me! Exactly. No really, though, he spent his life working in law enforcement. He was noble there, and in many other ways. He came from nothing, and managed to build a life where he had extras like a beach house, a time share, land in other states, nice cars, etc. He was extravagant by any means, but I'm sure if he'd wanted to be, he could have been (although at one point he did drive a Cadillac, back when that meant something!). He was a football star in high school, back when shoulder pads were about the equivalent of today's maxi pads, and when helmets were about the size of a Jewish yarmulke, so I know he was tough. He was even in newspapers, which was probably a much bigger deal then than it is now. Oh, and did I mention that my grandaddy was HOT?! I see why Grandma picked him, b/c she has good taste. I saw some pics of him when he was young, and man, did I come from good genes!

My favorite memories of Grandaddy are from when I was little. He would always grab my nose b/t his two first fingers, then stick his thumb through there and say he had my nose. Not sure why I loved it so much, but I did. He would also drive us around downtown Charleston and tell us all kinds of history from his firsthand knowledge. It was better than any tour you could ever pay for, and we got to go on these trips all the time! Another favorite, although scary, memory is riding in a car with him. He was a cop from the start, and even after he'd retired, he was still a cop at heart. He drove like a cop on a chase....ALL THE TIME! It was a tad bit terrifying, but at the same time, it was lots of fun...especially when he'd drive on the wrong side of the road! Great stuff!

I could go on for days about Grandaddy, but I'll stop here. It just pains me SO much to see such a wonderful man reduced to an Alzheimer's sufferer. I'm so very glad that Grandma loves him so much, and he's so lucky to have her, as she continues to keep him at home with her. I know Grandaddy doesn't understand it anymore, but HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, GRANDADDY!!!


Oh, and in case I didn't mention this before, either, our son will be named after Grandaddy. His name is Harry Braxton, so my baby will be named Braxton. After my mom and my brother and I, the only people left to carry on his name will be my children, as the rest of his family is gone. I only wish I could do more, and that baby Braxton would be able to get to know the great Grandaddy I grew up with.

I hope you have a great day, and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! We move tomorrow, so I might be out for a few days.
 
posted by Christi at 11:24 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Unknown

    That was awesome!! You put everything good about Trey exactly how I would if I were as good with words as you are. Everything but the good in bed part, but only because I wouldn't know.

    I remember visiting your grandparents when we were kids. I don't remember much about your grandma, although I'm sure she is a great lady too. I do remember your grandpa and instantly liking him. He may be suffering right now, but one day I'm sure he will receive his reward in heaven for a life well lived.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Kurt

    So he's not going to be named after Toni Braxton.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger holy chaos

    How blest you are to have a grandfather like that. That is cool that you are going to name your son after him!

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger gina

    come on. you have had three days to get your computer up and running. lol

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Unknown

    She has no internet until Monday.