Friday, June 02, 2006
Little pod people....
I have come to the conclusion that children are just blatant examples of what they will become when they grow up. Okay, like, think about it:

Kids are notorious for suddenly wanting whatever another kid is playing with. It doesn't matter that the toy or whatever hasn't been touched in years, the very second another kid picks it up and enjoys it, that toy suddenly becomes coveted property and must be had by the other kid. It's no different with adults. Someone, somewhere, someday, says that long, pointy-toed dress shoes are the in thing. Up to the point that they became the in thing, they were thought of as witches shoes or whatever. Now, suddenly, they must be had by everyone so that their feet will look longer and more slender, and it supposedly lengthens the leg (I watched What Not to Wear tonight, can you tell?). It's no different, really. Some of the fads that come around, I really have to wonder about who made them popular. It all comes down to some kid seeing that another kid is enjoying what he's got, and wanting the same thing. Shit, if you think about it, I know some people who have coveted entire lives of others and strive to have other people's entire life make-ups. Man, they must have been the kids on the playground that were really snatching up some toys!

Speaking of taking other kids' toys, children show their personalities in that way, too. Take, for instance, the kids I watch. Admittedly, they all pretty much see what they want and do everything in their power to take it away from the other kid, but they do it in such different ways, it's interesting to watch. There's MJ, who will come and shove you out of the way while snatching the toy away from you. My favorite, although believe me, it does not amuse me at all, is when she will come and sit on the toy the kid (usually Taryn, since she's smaller than her) is playing with, and scoot back until the kid is completely pushed away from it, then take off with it. Then there's Taryn. She comes and grabs it, and slowly pulls as hard as she can on the toy. If she's not successful in a matter of seconds in attaining said toy, she screams and cries until either the other kid gives it up, or someone comes and pries (literally) her little fingers off of it. No sitting on things for her, though. TJ will come and snatch the toy and turn his back so the other kid can't see it anymore. Yeah, like they suddenly think it just completely disappeared right out of their hands! J, MJ's' brother, will just snatch it and play with it in your face. Then, when forced to return said toy, will throw it with all the strength he has as far away from the kid as possible. So, sure, they all pretty much just grab the toys, but really, they all do it a little differently. I'm sure I could go on for days analyzing what each way means, but really, I think I've lost you already! I have noticed, though, that some ways are much more bullying than others (w/o naming names, of course), and I'm very sure that that translates into how the kids will be when they get bigger. What always makes me at least a little bit happy is that when TJ sets his mind out to get your toy, he thinks ahead and makes sure to bring another one to switch it out with so you'll still be happy. I just know that will bode well for him one day, right!

So, really, I'm sure it was complete common sense that kids are what they will be. Uh, DUH! I dunno, I just think it's fun to watch them and how differently they do things, and try to figure out what that translates to in their personalities. Like, w/TJ, I think back to some of the ways he was when he was little, and see, already, how those little things are showing his later big personality. I remember he used to run to his Nana whenever KK would do something wrong (mind you, the same stuff he did wrong before), and even before he could talk, would get her to come and discipline her. Now, he makes sure that I ALWAYS know when someone else is doing something wrong, and that they are properly disciplined for their wrongdoing. I kinda see him being a bit of a goody-goody teacher's pet kinda kid. Not Taryn, though. I mean, she's not old enough yet to really understand wrong from right, but man, when she finds something she thinks is fun, she will drag someone else to it and show them so they can have fun, too. I think she'll be the kind that sees someone doing something wrong, and will join in instead of telling on them! Boy, won't TJ have a ball with that! Of course, that also means I'll probably have a TON of fun on my hands when she gets older, eh! It's just so much fun to make these hypotheses, and later on I get to see how right I was.

Okay, really, I'm gonna go ahead and cut it now. Look, just go to the comment button and write something like, "Oh, I like that show, What not to wear." That way, I'll know you at least read the first couple of paragraphs (or maybe just looked for the italicized words!). I'll see you soon, and I hope you have a great day...
 
posted by Christi at 11:48 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger gina

    i watched the same what not to wear with the pointy shoe comment that stacy made!!

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Oh, I like that show, What Not to Wear. :P

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Carrie

    interesting theory about the toys. Rhena, when she wants a toy that someone else is playing with... actually will go get ANOTHER TOY, act like she's having a blast with it in front of the other child, wait for them to want the toy SHE'S playing with, gladly hand it over, then goes and plays with the toy she originally wanted.

    I have a feeling Rhena will be able to get the things in life that she wants while making others think it was all their idea. but time will tell all too soon.