Thursday, May 04, 2006
Let me set the scene for you...

Sweet and innocent my BUTT!

Here's the scenario:
It's 8:00 pm, I have just put Taryn to bed, and am heading to the kitchen to let TJ know he has to get ready in a few minutes. He's busily sweeping the kitchen floor for me (ie-pushing the broom around on the floor sideways, much as I do when I sweep!). I tell him he has five minutes. He moves to the living room to "sweep" there. After a couple of minutes, I tell him to give me the "sweeper" so I can put it up and he can go brush his teeth.

Which leads us to a few minutes ago...At that point, he goes into a rant about how he was sleeping in his room (ummm, was this last night?), and Jesus was in there. Jesus told him that he had to sweep the house b/c Jesus told him to (yes, he repeated it). He said that it was in His Jesus book that he told him to sweep the living room, and he has to listen to Jesus b/c He told him to, and that's what Jesus said to do, and I have to let him sweep b/c Jesus said so.

Okay, now tell me how I should feel about this. Here I am, glad that my son knows about Jesus, and that he understands that Jesus and God are the head honchos. He gets that we need to do what God and Jesus tell us to do, b/c they know what they're talking about, and God is like our dad, but He's everybody's dad. Great!

However, I feel a little duped here. Ummm, I do believe that my son just used Jesus, JESUS!, to stall going to bed! I don't know about you, but I foresee my future as being a WORLD of trouble with that boy! If he's only three, and already using Jesus to push my buttons and get what he wants from me, where on earth will he go from there when he's old enough to realize just how devious he can be!?
 
posted by Christi at 8:16 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger Me

    ROTFL... I'd say that if Jesus told him to, you'd better let him finish! *wink*

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger gina

    agreed with aka! don't screw around with Jesus and what he says to do.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I don't think you should try to argue with Jesus. TJ is a riot!

    Seriously, at some point he needs to know that he can't use Jesus' name for his own personal gains. At this point I think he's probably just putting thoughts together and experimenting with all sorts of different things to say. You're always saying things and sounding like you know what you're talking about, so he wants to say important sounding things too.

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Christi

    Wow, I never thought of it that way. I always think it's funny when he uses the phrases I do. Especially when he tells the other younger kids what to do by saying the exact thing he knows I'm going to tell them before I can get it out of my mouth! It never even occurred to me he was just trying to sound smart! Huh!

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography

    That is too funny! He totally got you!

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    he learned it by watching you mom, he learned it by watching you.

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger holy chaos

    What a cute picture! TJ is too funny! Lindsey likes looking at the pictures on your blog.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Kurt

    I think Jesus wants him to have a time out.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger k8

    jesus wants me to never clean again.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Carrie

    hmmm... can you ask TJ if Jesus wants him to sweep MY floors???

    cause I'm ALLLLLL good with letting that happen! HAH!


    Just kidding. I think it's cute, and if he keeps it up, I'm sure you'll find a good balance of letting him do his 'duties' during normal times. but for the one time... I say it's a great story, and totally heartwarming!