Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Stress...

So, I wrote this whole last post on all of the stress I feel about this whole mom thing. Yeah, I'm gonna work on it, and I realize that I'm probably doing a pretty good job as it is. Do you know what the most stressful part of every single day is, though?

EATING!

No, I love to eat. Don't get me wrong. I love food, and I like to put it in my mouth, chew it up, swallow it, and let it work its course. This is evidenced by the fact of how I look in pictures and in person, and how I've gradually worked my way up the scale of clothing sizes from a 10 when I met Trey to a size 437 W now. Yes, I should be stressed by the fact that I eat too much junk food and not enough hot, homecooked meals. I'm not. Really, I'm not.

Here's the problem: Making meals stresses me out! I can't afford to eat out everyday, and really, there's no point w/Trey usually not around and two small ones who really don't eat anything. SO, I'm left deciding what they, and I, eat for three meals and two snacks a day. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS!!!!! I want to make sure that they get enough vegetables and fruits and meats, and not too many sweets, and dammit, that's just challenging! Most meals I want to be done in no more than five minutes, b/c really, that's about all the time I have to get them together. My kids won't eat just anything, so I have to think of what they are willing to eat, and stuff that they're able to eat as well (like, no popcorn and peanuts for Taryn kinda stuff). Then I have to make it all match as best as possible. I'm known for eating stuff that doesn't go together at all. I once discovered that clam chowder and peanut butter and jelly not only do NOT go together, they WILL make you sick to your stomach for the rest of the day! I see nothing wrong with a meal of chicken and popcorn, or green beans and M&M's. However, I don't want my kids to have to eat that way. (btw, clam chowder really doesn't go with much, especially not chocolate ice cream!) I don't want them to have to eat the same thing day in and day out, and I refuse to have them eat the same thing twice in one day. This, of course, makes it that much harder to figure out what to feed them.

Thus, that is why most meals are eaten about an hour after I plan to in this house. I will find anything, even cleaning, to do in order to avoid the battle of figuring out and making meals for my family. It sucks on Trey's days off, too, b/c undoubtedly he has the same problem. 7 o'clock will roll around, and he'll ask what's for dinner. I'll tell him that I thought he was going to get it, and he'll look at me like I've lost my mind. Did I mention that he went to school to be a chef, or whatever, and that I decided he was the man for me b/c of that? I thought surely we'd have lovely gourmet meals each night and that he would love to cook in his off time. I suppose if you call Tombstone pizzas and Hamburger Helper Stroganoff gourmet, then yes, he is a gourmet chef at home. Otherwise, I really got screwed in this deal.

Thankfully, for tonight, I've made it past yet another day, with my kids eating somewhat decent foods and getting somewhat okay amounts of their daily needs. Of course, there's tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...Oh brother!

Have a great day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 7:35 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger gina

    yeah what is it with these culinary grads and they cant cook on their days off? call the PO-LICE we both got ROBBED.

    just come over here- i will cook for you three.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Christi

    Watch what you say...you may just get what you asked for! Don't think I'm not willing to drive the fifteen minutes everyday, three times a day, to come eat all your food!

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I was just thinking about this same thing last week. I try to plan what we're going to eat and make a grocery list for the week so I can be all organized and stuff. I almost always plan four course gourmet dinners every night of the week (duh) and then when dinner time comes I don't have the time or desire to actually do it. My mom said I should have a general plan like Monday is pasta, Tuesday is soup and sandwich. That way I don't go overboard and I don't have to think too hard. So I came up with a plan and I'm doing it this week, but we'll see how long it lasts.

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Me

    Pizza
    Quesadillas
    Jelly sandwiches
    Mac and cheese
    pasta with tomato sauce
    turkey and cheese on bagel
    pasta with butter, salt and pepper
    Grilled Cheese (always a hit!)
    little bread shrimps (better than fish sticks)
    cheese, pepperoni, salami and crackers
    tortilla roll ups (cream cheese, and additions they like, rolled up, sliced into finger sized bites)
    Soft shell tacos
    vegetable soup and crackers
    mini cheeseburgers and oven baked fries
    spaghetti
    Ramen Noodles ( I know! But kids love them! LOL. Mine eat them ONLY with chopsticks... they think it's fun)