Wednesday, March 01, 2006
I remember now...
TJ at the playground waterfall today. Trey took a wonderful pic, don't you think!


Ahhh, I remember how to get people to read your blog now. Just say something the teensiest bit controversial. Well, at least it makes me feel good to know that there are still a few people out there reading my blog! Of course, I'm not sure everyone read it the way I wanted it to be read, but hey, they read, right? I'm still really curious about regional pride, though. Perhaps I'll take an anthropology class at a local college about it or something...I remember in my anth. class at CofC (it was a required elective--ick!), the only thing that interested me one single bit was the one class we had that they talked about dialects. Oh man, I could go on for days about that stuff! I LOVE dialects! Of course, I don't particularly love that my son seems to be picking up a very Southern/redneck dialect. Not overly fond of that one!

So, on to my next question. This one, I would assume, is mostly for moms, or the dads that do the infant shoe shopping. Yeah, so just for moms. Taryn is now walking in short bursts here and there, and is trying like the dickens to do it all the time. I started putting little tennis shoes on her, thinking it would help her feet stay flatter and that it would give her some traction on these wooden floors that she's always slipping on. However, unless she successfully kicks one shoe off, which she usually does, she can't seem to walk if she has both shoes on. I've noticed lately that most every baby in the one year old area has Stride Rite shoes on. I've been asking the parents of said children, and the resounding chorus seems to be that Stride Rites really do help their kids to learn to walk, and walk better. So, off to the internet I went, in search of said shoes, only to find that Stride Rite is very proud of their brand of cute leather foot coverings. They want $40+ for a pair of shoes Taryn will most likely outgrow in ten minutes!!! It hurt to think of buying them. I've looked on eBay, and found a couple that are around $15, but not really the style I want. I bid on a pair of sandals, but if I don't win, I'm okay with that, b/c I really want tennis shoes for her. My question to you is: Did any of you use Stride Rites on your kids? If so, did you feel they were helpful in their learning how to walk? If not, did you find any type/brand of shoe that was particularly pleasing for your child to wear, or helped him learn to walk better? I wouldn't care, except that TJ walks on his tippy-toes, and I'm so afraid that's some kind of walking disability or something that I caused by not giving him adequate shoes to learn to walk in!

Alright, do come out of the woodwork and help me. Either save me the money, or make me feel confident about spending it! I hope you have a great day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 9:16 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That tippy toes thing is common. I even knew a guy in high school we called "Tippy Toes."

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Nope, I never bought Stride Rites, but I've heard good things about them. My kids went barefoot until they were walking well enough to need them for protection. Have you asked the doctor about the tiptoe walking? I know it's pretty common in toddlers, but I've heard once they reach a certain age it can be a sign of other problems. I'm not sure what the magic age is or even what the problems are. I just remember someone saying that about their own child and it stuck in my mind.

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Blogger Sadi

    Well, your kids are healthy and able. I don't think you have to worry about her learning how to walk. She will walk!! My sister swears by stride rites but...I have two boys that were both walking at 9 months with confidence. If I see some shoes at Target that I like, they get Target shoes. If I'm on the Teva website and I find them shoes I go for it, even if it's more expensive. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it might be an issue. I think as far as your babies you don't have to worry about getting the 'best kind'. And be happy about that!jmo!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Frances

    I didn't actually get my kids any shoes til they were walking "properly" for a few months... e.g. they must have been around 18 months old or so. Before then they just wore bare feet or socks, or those soft flexible slipper type things.

    I was advised not to put my kids into shoes before then - apparently they learn to walk best in bare feet.

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Melodee

    I put my baby in Robeez (google it). They are soft leather bootie-like shoes. I think a baby should be able to feel the ground to learn to walk. Plus, they are super comfortable and difficult for the baby to remove.

    And they are CUTE! (Hey, that makes me think: measure her feet in inches and maybe I could send you a hand-me-down pair).

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Carrie

    I didn't do stride rites for rhena. I HAVE heard that they should learn walking barefoot first before you do the shoes, though.

    but for rhena... she has shoes from all over, and different brands at that. I have to say my favorites for her have been a pair from buster brown and her white nikes witht he pink swoosh.


    and dude... I read your blog no matter what you write. XXOO

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger k8

    robeez robeez robeez! then stride rite (when she goes outside)
    i got stride rite simply bc it's family tradition. i got mine on ebay too!

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Cara

    Dawson learned to walk in Nike's.. I then bought Stride Rite, and I can't say whether they helped or not.. I think when they get ready to walk, they'll walk regardless...

    Also, D was very bow legged.. I was very worried about this, and after constant nagging to his pediatrician (who told me that he'd eventually grow out of it)he sent me to an orthopedic doctor.. He made Dawson a wedge in his shoe (which were Stride Rite, the ugly white ones that cost $40)... And the wedge was $160...
    So needless to say after about a month he'd grown out of those shoes and I wasn't about to go and buy another $200 pair...

    And like my peditrician said all along, he did indeed grow out of it.. And now he walks and runs fine!!

    I don't think that it matters what they wear personnally!! But I'm babysitting a little girl and her mom has the Robeez on her everyday, and like Mel said. They are soft and hard for the kids to get off, and you just throw them in the washing machine and they look brand new!!