Friday, April 28, 2006
I figured it out...
Man, employers are really missing out on the perfect job market! I figured out where all the smartest and hardest workers are today...They're at home taking care of their children!

Today I went to the mom's group meeting. There was a woman who comes pretty regularly, and she spoke to us about Women's Ministry. She was talking about her years at college while she was giving us some background. I got to thinking about the fact that I went to college, too. Pretty deep thoughts, eh? Then, I started wondering just how many women in the room had gone to college, had degrees, and were now spending their days at home making no money and raising their children to be the best they can be. Now, don't get me wrong, I think a lot of these women do a lot of "work" in their communities and church and stuff, and it's not like they're not doing anything but being mommies, which is also fine and dandy, being a job in itself (can you say run-on sentence!). Some of them even have jobs, like myself, but call themselves SAHM first and foremost. I guess it's a way of, you know, showing your priorities and where your heart lies.

So, anyway, where I was going w/this was that employers really are missing out. I mean, think about it...Admittedly, I can really use some work in the SAHM area. I just wonder if I will ever get myself truly organized to a point where I can handle everything that's going on in my life, AND do the extra stuff I want to do like volunteer and help others. That is my goal and passion in life, and it seems like that, unfortunately, is what's fallen to the wayside while I have all my cheerin' and try to get them out of diapers and to have some manners. SAHM's, though, are some of the most organized, hard working, intelligent, innovative and adaptive people out there. I mean, really, college and extra education aren't necessary to be sucessful (ie-my best friend in the whole wide world who does a stellar job at staying at home w/her kids and homeschooling them), it just goes to show just how much potential for our workforce is out there that employers are missing out on. If only more companies would offer work from home careers and stop looking at staying at home to raise children as a negative instead of an asset on resumes. This has been the hardest and most dynamic job I've ever had in my life, and surely it says something for me that I'm still at it and I haven't killed any of my (or someone else's) children yet. Why, I hardly ever even raise my voice (okay, okay, I don't yell, okay. Fine, I raise it now and then, but I don't YELL! Now, I've been to some workplaces where that happens a LOT. See, I've already got something going for me.

Alright, so I had a thought, and perhaps I should have seen it through to completeness before I decided to write about it. This has all seemed a bit random. If anything, please at least see it as a tribute to SAHM's and all we do. Sure, I totally think we deserve to get paid, a LOT. However, I'm glad to say that I'm not out there using my education to its fullest and putting those school loans to work in a "normal" job. I have to say that I will gladly use every ounce of my intellect speaking in toddler-ease and baby gibberish as long as it takes to raise my kids and make the world a better place through them. I totally feel like I'm not wasting one single second of my college learning. Goodness knows we need some better people in the world, so surely I'm doing something right!

Have a great day! I'll talk to you later!
 
posted by Christi at 12:16 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger gina

    i couldn't agree more. we ARE a bunch of intelligent wonderful women, doing the most important job in the world. :)
    glad you came today- tj and taryn looked so BIG and cute.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Kurt

    Most employers aren't looking for smart people; they're looking for people who do what they're told.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I'm giving you a standing ovation!

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Carrie

    you know.. at first inclination, I'm tempted to agree that most places SHOULD offer more work-from-home positions.

    But thinking more, if I was doing an engineering job from home, I would want to live up to my work ethic, which would be to do a kick-ass job for what I'm getting paid for. and the bottom line, if I were doing that, Rhena would suffer the consequences, as a person only has so much time and energy to balance things out.

    I'm just speaking for myself, of course, but over the past two years, I'm just about come to terms with being a SAHM. My goal, until I start working in the (and I use the term loosely) 'real work world' again, is to do the best job I can possibly do right now.

    Sure, it would be nice if I got paid to be a SAHM, but I have to believe (for my own sanity) that doing this now will pay off for us as a family, and my child, my husband and myself as individuals later on down the line.

    I guess it all boils down to on what you consider to be a payoff. Some folks it's the money right now (which is fine.. cause I GET THAT)and some.. it's the internal reward. everyone's different.