Friday, August 31, 2007
We've lost an institution

Today I was driving home during rush hour. I stopped by my grandma's house to see her new counter tops. When I ran inside, I left the car on, and it was on 96 Wave, my favorite radio station. I was inside for maybe five minutes, if that. When I came back outside, the theme song to Charles in Charge was playing. I was confused, as the station usually plays alternative/rock music. It made my stomach hurt it sucked so bad. However, TJ loved it, and threw a fit every time I tried to change it. They played it for 20 minutes straight. When I'd finally had enough, and had decided that I was willing to put up with TJ's fit to avoid the nausea that came with hearing that song again, it stopped. It was followed by an announcement that my radio station was now going to be 96.1 The Chuck, playing adult variety music. Ummmm, WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!

I called Julia in a panic. I knew it had to be some kind of joke. She said she'd read something a while back that mentioned they may change their format. I called a friend of a friend who used to work there. She knew nothing. There had been NO warning whatsoever. I listen to this station a minimum of three hours a day, as I work from my car. Most days it's much longer than that. I go in as late as possible to work every morning b/c the morning show on there is so freaking funny, and if I went in any earlier, I'd miss it (I'd be done w/my paper route before it came on). I had heard nothing.

When I got home I looked online. The website had already been changed to the new stupid station. However, their MySpace page was still 96 Wave, and it didn't say a single word about changing formats, or whatever. I searched and searched for an answer. Finally, I found it at The Charleston City Newspaper's blog. My fears were all true.

This is not a joke. I am devastated.

I grew up on 96 Wave. It's been around for 22 years now, just about as long as I've been listening to the radio and actually caring what was on. 96 Wave is as much Charleston as the city market, Rainbow Row, and hot weather are. Other radio stations have come and go, and changed directions entirely, but the Wave has always been there, a staple of the rock and roll community. In high school, they were always there with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Cracker right on the play list, right when I needed it. Now, they've grown with me (or have I grown with them?), and they always have a little Breaking Benjamin, Deepfield (props to Lee's band!),30 Seconds to Mars, and Three Days Grace on hand to brighten up my day. It never really seemed like a question that one day my little ones would be jamming out in their hover mobiles to 96 Wave as well; it was just going to be that way.

My whole conscious life has been spent with 96 Wave. Even when I didn't live here, I listened every moment I was in town. Even when they went through a phase of SUCKING, I still switched back b/c you just can't leave your station like that. Now what am I going to do? Sure, there's 98X, but their music is a little, uhhh, harder at times than I want, and a little older sometimes, too. 95SX plays some good songs every now and then, but they unfortunately mix them up with those Top 40 songs that have all the remixes and rap crap mixed in. No thanks. I'm wondering if I'm going to go old early and just give up and listen to talk radio. I'd rather not, b/c damn if that station doesn't get me thinking just a wee bit too much; it gets me mad, and I've got enough on my plate to worry about as it is! I refuse to listen to the "Adult Variety" they will now be playing on my once favorite station. I just don't know what to do.

What I do know is that I'm glad I got myself a Zune for Mother's Day, and it looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time downloading music now!
 
posted by Christi at 9:12 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger Unknown

    I had the opportunity to listen for a while this evening. They had some good stuff and the variety was huge, but then they played things like WAM and Poison, and that doesn't cut it. I remember my parents discovering 96 WAVE 22 years ago when we first moved here and I wasn't old enough to care yet. I miss the Free Fall Jams, and I was upset when they changed it to Wave Fest, but I even attended one of those. They threw the best outdoor concerts. I wonder what will happen to the Critic. 96 Wave has been tinkering with the format the last couple years. It's been kind of boring and lacking the edge and independence I used to like. Or maybe I've changed, who knows. I just know Sundays and the Critic were the only thing that kept me calling 96 Wave my favorite for the past year. I can't speak for Free Beer and Hot Wings. I never listen to the radio that time of the day.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Kurt

    Poison! Quiet Riot! Ratt!