Monday, January 01, 2007
Reflection...

Happy 2007!, originally uploaded by Lynn Morag.



I look back on 2006, and the only word that comes to mind is "busy". It was indeed a busy year for our family. We moved twice (well, once was the very end of December '05, but really, it might as well have been 2006), one being a big move back home where I was a single parent for two months before Trey finally came to live here, too. I held various odd jobs in the attempt to not have a 9-5 job and still make the money we need, all of which took precious time out of my sleeping habits (such as now, when I should be asleep, but just got home from a paper route I'm subbing for). I had two small children for the most part of it, and it was the first year that I actually had them the entire year. Before, TJ was sent to his Nana's house to be watched while I worked. This year, it was entirely up to me and Trey to take care of our children (I mean, sure, parents watched them here and there, but not for the most part). The biggest addition to this year that made it even busier was little Cole. Yep, his coming took up a large part of the year, and his pregnancy was my hardest yet.

It's funny, though, that I don't think of this year as hard. Definitely the year before this one we struggled the worst. I won't say that we struggled, b/c heavens knows we did. We are in a constant struggle state, which will no doubt last until we either get rid of the kids or die, whichever comes first. It seems to be getting a little easier, though. I spent a lot of this year working on repairing some of the problems we caused before we realized what we were getting ourselves into. Again, it's going to take many years before we get even a little of our problems completely fixed, but I feel like 2006 headed in a much more positive direction than 2005.

Another aspect of 2006 that comes to mind is healthcare. We went to the doctor more this year than ever. Trey, TJ, and I all had regular dentist visits, with Trey getting some major work finally done in his mouth. He also had two MRI's, sprained his ankle and broke some tendons, hurt his elbow, chopped open his thumbnail, and I'm sure I'm missing something. He was sick more than usual, as well. Taryn was a walking booger factory, but aside from her regular checkups, only went on a sick visit once. I, of course, had all my fun prenatal visits, and Cole has done his fair share of doctor visiting since he was born as well. TJ seems to be the only one of us who really didn't utilize a doctor too much. Honestly, he moves so fast and so much that I don't think the germs can catch him! I am, unfortunately, completely swamped with medical bills now, which will be an unhappy carry over into 2007.

As far as personal bettering, I really don't feel like I moved forward much this year. I stayed so busy and tired that I rarely had time for myself, much less for doing something to help myself. My goal for 2007 is, since I'm done having kids, to make a major effort at trying to shape up. I'd also like to start learning how to cook and doing more cooking at home and eating better foods. I've got my heart set on casseroles, for some reason. Something about the simplicity of them, yet the all-encompassing complete meal coverage (you can put your meat, dairy, carbs and veggies in them all together!) just totally amazes and excites me. Last night I made my first attempt at them. It was rice pilaf, mixed veggies, and chicken thighs. It was lacking something, I'm guessing seasoning since I have no grasp on how to season anything, but overall I was proud of myself that it was at least edible.

As part of these goals, I have to learn how to be more organized, and do it. I want to start homeschooling TJ this year as well, and that will take major organization. Thankfully, Cole is getting a little easier to handle during the days, and I can spend more time w/TJ and Taryn now, so hopefully we are going to get our acts together there. Even with the cooking I'm going to have to be organized and plan out meals. I've decided we're going to have certain days each week where we eat a certain food for dinner. Like, Mondays will be chicken night, and we'll have some kind of meal centered around chicken. I think that will be good. Lately, our nights have gone b/t pizza night or hamburger night. Not good, and even though we'll still have a pizza or burger night, they won't be every night anymore.

Alright, I suppose I've gone on long enough now. I hope your celebrating of the new year was great, and that your first day of this new year is even better. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear what some of your goals for the new year are. Talk to you later!
 
posted by Christi at 6:24 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Kurt

    I don't do New Year's resolutions, in keeping with my total lack of personal progress.

     
  • At 2:45 AM, Blogger Unknown

    You have had a tough year. As an outside observer, I see all the things you're juggling and it's a lot! Whenever I'm overwhelmed or stressed taking care of myself is sadly the first thing to go. I think your idea for meal planning is a good one. I've heard people love crock pots for simplicity too. I have one, but I think it's more of a thing for meat, so I've never got into it much. Anyway, other people love it, so if you want ours you can have it.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger holy chaos

    happy belated new year!