Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Inspiration?
Last night we were trying to figure out what to do for dinner. I was in the mood for something different and fancy-like, but didn't want to go out somewhere to get it. I got online and started looking up "easy gourmet recipes". Yeah, no such thing...at least not if you want to actually eat real food, that is! I also thought about Pad Thai, b/c I had it recently at a Thai restaurant and it was DELICIOUS! It looked simple enough to make, but, again, I was wrong. There are about ten thousand little ingredients in it, including fish sauce, which was enough to make me want to hurl. So, I'll be only getting my Pad Thai from reputable Thai cooks from now on!

Suddenly, the thought of an omelette hit me. I think it's b/c the Thai restaurant we ate at used to be a Huddle House. Anyway, it was all I could think about. So, I grabbed a couple of the kids and ran to the store to buy some add-ins. While we were there, we ran into Richard, Julia's hubby, and the kids. I invited them over to have omelettes with us as well. They came. How fun!

I made roasted red potatoes (to replace hash browns) and garlic toast (to replace regular toast) to go with the omelettes to make it feel a little more like dinner. We put things like garlic, bell peppers, onions, ham, steak, sausage and cheese in some of them, with salsa and sour cream to put on top if desired. In mine, however, I was still bent on the "gourmet" thing, so I tried something a little different. I put spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic and goat cheese in my omelette. It was SO GOOD! It felt fancy. I love me some goat cheese, and it went well with the egg. It mixed with the potatoes and toast well, too. My only regret is that I used canned spinach, which really had no taste. Next time I'll definitely get fresh instead.

Trey and I decided we really need to go on a diet and start to do even some moderate exercise. It would help a lot if I could get organized enough to start planning out our meals ahead of time and all that good stuff. We've planned to sit down soon and map out our diet plan. It was fun cooking that meal last night, especially with Trey helping (I can't make an omelette to save my life). I think it could be a lot of fun to cook more at home, and actually "cook"!

So, I guess I'll chat with you later. I've got to go out and clean up my cat's "gift" now. She seems to have found an unending supply of giant rats to bring to our front door, beheaded and gutted, to show us her love. I have to say, as sweet as it is, I'd rather she hate us! Have a great day, and I'll see you later.
 
posted by Christi at 2:45 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger karla

    mmmm. A yummy food post that ends with beheaded and guted rats.

    Send Trey up this way to come and cook for us sometime ok?

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Tonight at dinner Andrew brought up your omelettes and how good they were. There was no mention of how good my dinner was. Hmmph.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Kurt

    I love omelettes. I will keep an eye out for you at the store.