Sunday, September 30, 2007
The troubled one...
I honestly never thought that Taryn of all of my children would be the one that would become known by name at the emergency room. However, it's beginning to look that way.

If you've been reading at all, or know me, which would constitute pretty much all of you (all three, that is), then you already know that Taryn went to the hospital shortly before Cole was born b/c she got into my purse and ate my Lexapro. She had to drink charcoal, no small feat to get into her I might add, and was fine.

Today, she went for another visit. I discovered that she can, in fact, get out of her childlock on her bedroom door. She did today, during naptime, and while I was dead asleep. After, I suppose, having gotten bored smearing poop on her wall again (Yeah, that's another story in itself!), she got hungry. Trey brought home some lunch-size bags of chips last night from work, and she got a bag. She couldn't get it open. So, instead of coming to ask me, like she usually does, she decided to open it herself. She used a pair of scissors the other day to open a tube of yogurt, so I hid them elsewhere, where she couldn't reach them. Thus, she was left with no choice but to use a steak knife.

I was awakened to TJ telling me that Taryn was crying and to go get her (I was OUT). I asked him to check and see what was the matter while I got up, and he came running to me and saying that she had pooped on herself and her finger was bleeding (?). When I got to her, I discovered that the poop was not that at all, and was in fact blood, which she was covered from head to toe in, and naked as a jaybird. She was standing in the living room, where she had gone to try to get a wipe to clean the blood off of her finger, and was squealing, "I bleeding!" I took her to the kitchen, thinking it was a small nick from somewhere, and proceeded to rinse her finger off. When I touched her finger and the skin flipped up, I lost it (in fact, it's making me sick to my stomach now). I tried to put a band-aid on, but it just fell right off, and not only was I in a little bit of a panic, but my legs wouldn't hold me up anymore. I put her on the chair she'd used to get in the drawer, and sat on the floor with a paper towel wrapped around her finger. I called my mom to come over b/c I couldn't even walk to take her and Cole to the car.

When my mom got there she helped clean her up and get the kids in the car, and as she left, Trey got home from work. We sat in the waiting room at the ER for about an hour, and finally they got her back. After a while, they got her finger stitched up. She got five stitches, which I've been told is a lot for her tiny finger, and Trey said she was quite the trooper. I'm so happy she's alright, b/c if you had seen the blood everywhere, you'd have thought she would have bled to death! Amazingly, she was as good as normal, except for the whole finger thing, of course!

Oh, what I found a little funny, and totally wrong, was when I was asking her at first if she'd used the knife to try to open the chips, her response was, "I shoulda used the scissors." Uhhhh.....So, tomorrow I will be purchasing a latch for her door, and fancy little drawer catches for the kitchen. That sucks, too, b/c we've never needed them before. I've drilled with the kids which drawers they can't go into and why, and up to this point it's always worked. Oh well, I'd rather have to suffer for a while when I go to get silverware than have Taryn kill herself.

I also had no idea I am such a woos when it comes to blood. I literally got sick to my stomach and almost puked, and my legs completely gave out. I thought I was tougher. Even in the hospital, when they went to take the bandage off, I had to look away b/c even the thought of seeing her little finger again made me sick. Even now I'm getting sick thinking about it. What is my deal!?

Anyway, I can see already that Taryn is going to be many, many handfuls of "fun" for us all. She is beyond headstrong, and prone to accidents. It's gonna be a long, long life!
 
posted by Christi at 10:48 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Kurt

    I bleeding!

    I loved this story, and I wish I wasn't required by law to report this incident.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    And I thought that me falling asleep the other day and letting Gavin (I was OUT) poop on the kitchen floor was bad.... nope, not that bad. I'm just kidding. Everyone has to have one of those kids, and obviously yours is Taryn. We like to call those type of children easily bored. Gavin has the same issue, it just hasn't landed us in the emergency room quite yet. *knocks on wood*

    As far as the blood goes, it might be because it was your child. If it were Trey bleeding, would you have handled it any better? I just think it's different with your child bleeding like that. But, then again, I'm going to be a nurse, so I really have no issues with anyone's blood. Good luck. I'm sure that she'll settle down a little bit. Take pictures and put them in her baby book.... 1st Stitches! hahahah

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Apparently she gets her grace and charm from her mother! I used to lose it whenever something happened to you or Bubba too--remember the door knob and the broken arm? But I got better at reacting and you need to try to get over the blood thing... Good luck--I think you're gonna need it! Mom/MiMi

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I can't get over the fact that she's so independent. Not only did she decide to handle the situation with the bag of chips by herself, she actually tried to clean her own hand.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger holy chaos

    never a dull moment!!!

    i am glad that she is okay.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Carrie

    oh. my. goodness.

    little woman is giving ME a heart attack, and she's not even MINE!!


    thank God she's ok, and yes.. batten down the hatches... you're in for a rough ride!! :)

    xxoo