Sunday, June 01, 2008
Gas effects
So, how has the rise in gas prices effected your life? It has certainly had a large effect in many ways on ours.

Let's see, the main changes would come in the actual purchasing of gas. I have a paper route, and the whole thing is about driving, so of course I have to still keep buying gas. Honestly, the whole round trip is only about 35 to 40 miles, which is less that Trey has to drive round trip to and from work (50 miles), but it's full of stopping, starting, turning, slowing down, speeding up...all the stuff that not only burns gas faster, but wears out your engine and tires quicker. It used to take me $40 to fill up my tank, near the end of last year. Now, it takes $65 to $70 easily. The remedy? I bought Trey a motorcycle, as I mentioned before, and I was driving his car to do the route during the week when the paper is small enough to fit in it (not Sundays, too big). It sucks to drive a stick-shift on a paper route, but I made it work. Of course, now I have to wait a few days, b/c the other day his window, driver door of course, decided to die. Can't do a paper route with the window shut, so I've been back to driving the van. Man, what a difference I've noticed already! It would also be nice if Trey would get his guts about him and actually start driving the damn motorcycle to work. That would help...

Food has also become a problem. It seems as everything at the grocery store has escalated in price. For a while it was just the milk, which was killing me. I had to cut the kids to just one sippy cup a day, whereas before they were having it with every meal. Cole gets more, naturally, since he still needs it the most, but the other two now have to drink a lot of water, which they're kind of getting used to. TJ doesn't mind so much, but Taryn HATES it. I bought a fridge water filter, with a little spicket on it, and that seems to have made it more fun for them. They call it "Fresh, Cold Water" (always), and can get it themselves, and the liberation and control has definitely helped! As a matter of fact, Taryn just brought me a cup, how sweet! Anyway, as far as other foods go, I've really had to cut back on a lot of stuff. The kids love snacks, but they can't have as many as they used to. Oh, and produce! Am I the only one who's noticed that fresh food is harder and harder to afford? I really want to start eating better, but damn! I bought a little bag of grapes the other day, on sale, and it still cost me over $4! Bananas used to be $.48 a pound, now they average over $.65. I'm sad that it's cheaper just to buy a frozen pizza, although not much, b/c even those have gone up!

Have you heard, too, that electricity and water are going up? Well, at least here they are. Yeah, that's what I need. I can barely afford my electricity bills as it is, but definitely raising the prices will help. I am on the verge of telling Trey he can't take two showers a day anymore (he needs them with the stinch that sticks to him from work), and telling the kids that there will be no more sprinkler play.

Also, I've slipped into further depression. I literally feel sick to my stomach on a daily basis as I think about everything going up in price, and our pay going down. You know, both of us work in areas that depend on people spending their extra money. When experts start talking about where to cut costs to save money and make your budget work, they first say "cut out eating out and getting the paper--you can read it online". There go our incomes! I just lost my small paper route, which was bringing in a little under $300/month. Sure, it's not anything major, but it definitely will be missed. I hate driving by gas stations, b/c it makes me feel more dismal. The only thing that brings me a feeling of hope anymore is when I hear these articles and stuff about cars that run on water...yeah, as if I'll be getting one of those anytime soon! Yeah, so this sucks.

I realize it's not all that bad, and it's only going to get worse from here, but man does it feel awful already. So, has the skyrocketing of gas prices effected your life in any ways? How have you dealt with it?
 
posted by Christi at 11:39 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I'm sure it's not affecting me as bad as you, but yeah, I'm feeling the pinch. I'm becoming more of a homebody to save on gas. I skipping party invitations in Mt P. Another thing is Richard loves going places far away for mundane things, like he thinks nothing of driving all the way downtown because I've run out of my favorite tea. In the past I've said I don't think that's cost effective, but I've shrugged and sighed and went along because that's the way I do things. Lately I've been putting my foot down and saying no, this is ridiculous. I could still do better about my gas use. The main thing I spend it on is to and from karate four days a week. I've tried to find kids in their class to carpool with, but everyone comes from the other direction.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Carrie

    sorry this is hitting you so hard, momma. clearly, you're between a rock and a hard place with the gas situation; perhaps there are other areas in which you can make cost-cutting changes that will help defract the loss you're feeling at the pumps.

    big hugs.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Kurt

    I hate driving, so I've always lived about 2 or 3 miles from the school where I worked, and I did the commute in my Honda Civic, so my gas expenses were always negligible. Now I don't have a car, so I'm definitely not feeling it. I haven't noticed food getting more expensive.

    I disagree that cutting out the newspaper is one of the first things people should do to save money. That few dollars a week is not one of your biggest expenses, compared to what you get for it.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    You can thank this country's sorry Democratic majority Senate and Congress for most of our woes--they are pretty worthless. And just wait to see how bad it gets if the Democrats win the presidency! Our taxes will go WAY up so they can provide everything free to the "poor" who prefer not to work, but live off the backs of the taxpayers. People want to blame all these problems on Bush, but they apparently forget or don't know that the president has limited power--everything has to actually be approved by the Senate and Congress. So maybe things aren't as bad as you think they are... yet??? The way things are going, in a few years you'll call now "the good old days"!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Kurt

    I thought this was a post about your household expenses, not George Bush. What happened?