Friday, April 18, 2008
Not the right thing to say to a newby...
So, I've begun my "MARATHON TRAINING". Not even a week in, and I'm bushed! What I find funny is that I actually have cut my regular workout down some, and yet it is killing me. I used to go on the elliptical machine for 15 minutes, then work my arms, legs, and abdomen on the weight machines, then go back to the elliptical for 15 more minutes. Now, I'm just walking on the treadmill as fast as I can handle for 20 minutes, then going to do the weight machines. By the end of that, I can barely make it to pick up the kids, much less go back to do more cardio! The treadmill KILLS me, and I'm scared, b/c next week I begin walking/running alternated, and I just know I'm not only going to look like an idiot, but I'm sure I'm going to fall off the end of the treadmill! I was proud of myself today, though, b/c I walked for a little over two miles, and I was on the treadmill for almost 35 minutes. Can you believe that, though? It took 35 minutes to walk 2 miles?! I was walking really fast. At the rate I'm going right now, it would take me four years to get all the way through a marathon!

So, I started on Monday, and after I finished walking and went to the weight room, I saw the trainer that I love who knows everything their is to know about exercising. I was talking to him about marathon training (his dad was a big marathon runner), and he was giving me some pointers, etc. As I was walking away to begin working out, he said, "Yeah, it's gets a lot easier once you get used to the pain." Uhhhhhhhh, what? Did he just say the word "pain"? Okay, okay, I realize that it is going to hurt, and that I am going to be sore, a LOT. I mean, already my legs hurt, and my feet were not liking me this afternoon. However, just hearing him say it did not make me feel good. I now envision days of excruciating muscle soreness and giant blisters on my feet. I see myself limping around the house and talking constantly about all my various aches and pains. Ummm, ewww! He really did stop me dead in my tracks and make me think really hard about whether or not I want to do this. I have decided, at least at this point, that it is worth it, and that I will carry on...but he did get my mind racing. It probably wasn't the best thing to tell the new chick!

Anyway, I was feeling quite crappy all day, and once I finished working out, although I was tired, I felt much better. So, it's already showing me benefits! The kids are also loving my renewed motivation to go to the gym. They love going to the childcare room.

As for what else has been going on this week: My dad and his wife, Wanda, came for dinner the other night, and the kids finally got their Christmas presents from them that I haven't quite made it over to their house to get quite yet (yes, they live about fifteen minutes away, but...LOOK, I'm a busy woman, okay!). Taryn got a makeup kit and a dress-up dress and slippers, and she could not have been happier. That night, she put on her lipstick and eyeshadow, and when I went to kiss her goodnight, she got upset b/c I was taking her lipstick off of her face! She slept in the dress, and within the first hour she was awake, she must have applied her makeup at least four times! I'm pretty sure she used her lip gloss as eyeshadow, and it was smeared EVERYWHERE! Later that day, I painted her finger and toenails, and then painted mine. We were so GORGEOUS! The makeup is now mostly gone, as she has used it at every moment she can find a second. Fear not, though, I got her a new set for her birthday in June!



 
posted by Christi at 7:51 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Those are really good pictures of Taryn.

    How are your shoes? That's about the pace I walk when I'm without the kids and I bother to time myself and see. Before I got my new shoes I was getting very sore shins. I got new, good shoes and no more pain. The other day when I went strawberry picking I wore my old ones so I don't mess up the new ones and they felt so bad, even when I put the orthotics in. I guess they really aren't designed to last forever.

    I wonder if walking on solid ground might be less painful than on a treadmill? I have no idea. I just want you to feel good because you're my friend and I love you!

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger gina

    you can do it. i am proud of you! keep on...

    um. we still havent gotten our presents from christmas yet from them. we are officially the worst kids ever.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Kurt

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    Keep training! You can do it.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Carrie

    you can do it, momma. when I first started back at the gym, it took me about 32 minutes to walk 2 miles. and I broke a sweat!

    after a few weeks, I got it down to 2 miles in just under 28 minutes... so I know you'll be able to improve your time VERY soon.


    as for treadmill vs pavement... starting off is better on the treadmill.. more shock absorbing til your legs strengthen. also, you can build up your personal reistance by doing a hill routine at your OWN pace.. whereas when you're on the road, and damnit, the road just won't go flat for you.

    keep at it, though. I'll be training vicariously through you now as my toe heals.

    loved the pics, too, btw.

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger Natalie

    good for you!

    those pics are so precious