Saturday, April 05, 2008
Can I, really?
Okay, check this out. I am not a runner. It pains me to run to the other end of the living room. I am slowly becoming an exerciser in general, but have not yet ventured into the running arena.

The radio station I listen to, Free Beer and Hot Wings, runs in this marathon every year to benefit AT research. There is a marathon in Disney World in January that they run, and you have to earn money by getting sponsors and all that jazz. I want to do it. I do not want to do it this upcoming January. There is no way in hell. Not only am I literally not able, but I want that to be our big family trip to Disney World, and by this upcoming year the kids would not be old enough yet. I figure if I wait until the following Jan., then Cole will be three, and that should work. That gives me over a year and a half to prepare and train. In the meantime, I could perhaps run other marathons if I felt ready, or something like that. It seems pretty do-able.

So, I looked up training for a marathon on the internet. I found different programs, but the one that I liked the most was a 26 week one, which I'm sure would take me longer. No problem there, I have well over a year! I think it would be a great idea. I think I can do it.

Oh, but can I? How daunting this idea of mine is. I think about how if I started running and training how I would lose weight and get skinnier and be fit. How wonderful that would be! Then I think of how I have a gym membership, and how most days I don't make it just b/c I don't have time, I don't feel like it, or some other excuse. I was doing really well for a while, but since we came back from vacation, I haven't been able to get on board again with my exercise and diet routine. Do I really think I'm going to stick to a training routine that involves having to run at least every other day? I don't know. I feel like maybe if I tell people about it, and sign up and really dedicate and commit myself to it (ie-fill out the paperwork and tell people I don't even know that I'll be there!) that I'll do it. At least, that's what I hope! Also, there's a new group a different radio station I listen to started called the "Fit Club". They meet once a week and exercise together and diet or something. They seem to be doing great and all of the people are losing a lot of weight. I thought maybe I could join that and find someone of like mind. I also thought maybe, just maybe, I could convince Julia to train with me, since she is also trying to lose weight, and our families could all go together. I know, I just know, that her kids would LOVE to go to Disney World, and there is plenty of time to save up!

Okay, so tell me what you think. Do you think this is possible? I think it is, but man, it's scary to think about. I really do want to do this, but I feel like I'm really going to have to have some kind of support system set up to actually stick to it. Any ideas?
 
posted by Christi at 1:08 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger Unknown

    If that's something you'd like to do, I think you could do it. It would be a hell of a lot of work. If you really got yourself in that kind of shape I would imagine it would be a big boost to your confidence and your life in general would probably be better. Who wouldn't want to be stronger and more energetic?

    I'm digging the idea of trying to run. Walking is all I do now, and now that my feet are all better, it's kind of easy. I would like to be able to run a mile without wheezing for the rest of the day. I'm in denial about my asthma. Do I want to do a marathon? Not really. I have no desire to go to Disney either. I would be willing to train with you until you surpass me and start running great distances. Who knows? I might become one of those people who love running and then I might change my mind.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Unknown

    If you run a marathon I will donate $200 to your cause.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger gina

    I'll chip in. you and wes can do it together....

    wes is going to do some fundraiser for my friend missy's baby gage who has a brain tumor again..get ready to cough some up towards that. lol

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Kurt

    It's definitely doable. I have a friend who did one of those marathon training courses, and he did complete the marathon.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger karla

    If you set your mind to it, you will totally do it. Go Christi! Go Christi! Go Christi!

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Cara

    Go for it! That makes me want to do it! I just hate to walk.... That's why I have a car.... And that's why I'm fat and lazy!! But you go for it! Let us know what you decide!

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Carrie

    if you train for it, you will be able to do it. period.

    work it, girl. load up that zune and get training!

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Kurt

    By the way, did Ron Paul win?

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Wow, look at all these comments. See how many people you have rooting for you? Have you decided if you're going to give it a try yet?

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Christi

    I'm gonna do it. It's just a matter of when I'm gonna start. I wanted to start yesterday, but it seems that I have pulled the muscle in my neck again, and it and my whole back are sore. Therefore, I'm going to have to give it a few days to heal, and then off I go!