Wednesday, August 03, 2005
He's 29!!!




HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Trey!!!!! Today my man turns 29!!! What an old man! I love you, Trey!

So anyway, my last post was just me writing something out of frustration, b/c both of the kids were actually asleep, so I could write something, but I had nothing to write about! So let me tell you about my day:

My plan had been to have TJ help me make a cake today, and take it to Trey's work and surprise him for his birthday. The plan worked, but not w/o its share of fun and agitation. So I go right after Trey leaves for work to buy the stuff to make the cake, as he would have been suspicious had I bought it all before (I'm on a diet now, and cake is not on my list of things I should be eating!). I get both little ones all dressed, and we run to Publix to get the stuff. We get home and I get the ingredients ready to go. TJ is happily sitting on the counter, ready to stick his finger in anything I put in front of him. Then I look at the back of the box and it says I need three eggs. Oh crap! Trey just used them up the other day! I am NOT going back to the store again just to get eggs! So I knock on the door across from me. No one answers. So I venture next door. The woman answers the door like she's scared to death. I introduce myself, since we've never met (sad, ain't it!), and tell her my situation. She begrudgingly gives me her last three eggs, to my profuse thank you's, but I feel like she does it so I won't kill her. She kinda threw them at me and ran...Whatever, I had eggs! So I go back home and get started. TJ has put in all of the ingredients, and has now run to his room b/c he's scared to death of the mixer. So I go to mix the batter, and the freakin' mixer breaks! Whatever...I'll just whisk it! TJ and I do, and pour it in and bake away. So now we have half an hour. TJ freaks out b/c he can't eat the cake now, so I put him down for a nap, and enjoy some free time to myself (thus the stupid post!).

Okay, so once the cake is done, I let it cool, then go to start decorating it. I put it on the pan, and it's a little off-center, so I try to move it. Aaaaahhhhh! The cake breaks down the middle! Okay, no biggie....I'll just cover it with frosting and everything will be alright. However, it doesn't work that way. The cake actually splits after I put the frosting on, and everytime I put more frosting on to cover that spot, it goes right down into the earthquake fault across the cake! Whatever...I'll cover it with decorations! So I cut open the tube of squirty frosting I bought for decorating with. Did I read the back first? No. Should I have? Yes. It seems that I was supposed to use it with Betty Crocker decorating tips. Did I find this out before I started using it to write on the cake? No. Does the cake look stupid b/c the letters are all fat and retarded looking? Yes. Whatever...I'll just blame it on TJ. Yeah, sure people will believe that my two year old can spell and write Happy Birthday! So then I take the little sugar bugs (you know, the poky ones you can buy to decorate cakes with--it was that or space ships, and TJ loves bugs) and line them up across the cake over the fault. Yes, now the cake looks even more stupid. Whatever...when I put on the sprinkles it will look better. TJ wakes up from his nap and puts on his bugs, and then we put on the sprinkles. Yeah, I give up...this cake is not going to look good. Trey might as well just accept that, and focus on the "thought that counts" part.

I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed, b/c I'm really pretty good at making desserts. This was the first time I've ever taken anything up to Trey's work, and it was terrible looking. There was only so much I could pass off to TJ helping. Well, at least I know they won't be calling me to make any cakes, eh! So we get there, and I go to put on the little 2 and 9 candles we got, and of course, they don't want to stay up. My feeble little cake can't handle the weight of the large candles! We barely make it into the kitchen, and sing "Happy Birthday" to Trey, and the candles fall down! Whatever...maybe it will at least taste good! It did. Thank goodness!

So, my plan was a success. Trey was suprised. He said I even embarrassed him. Hooray! My evil plot has been carried out! Bwa ha ha ha!

Huh, who knew I could turn a story about making a freakin' cake into such a long dissertation? Is anyone still here? If so, I would also like to say Happy Anniversary to Wesley and Gina! I think it's nine years they've been married now! Gettin' up to the big ten soon! I have no doubt in my mind that they will make it to the big 50, though! Happy day, you guys!

Alrighty, you have a great day, and I'll see you later!
 
posted by Christi at 10:12 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    ...who knew I could turn a story about making a freakin' cake into such a long dissertation...

    How about dessertation?

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    rofl anvil!!!
    christi, please dont steal my job at skirt magazine! your antics sound so funny!! i just busted a gut laughing. thanks for that.
    happy birthday trey! dont you have a sweet wife who would go through all this trouble... i mean...sweetness... to surprise you? the man she loves? hope it is a good one. we love you all.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Happy birthday, Trey!

    Yeah, I would pass that cake off on TJ. One year I made a cake for Andrew that looked awful. My grandmother said, "How cute. You let the kids help!" I should have just agreed with her, but no, I told her it was all me."

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Tammy

    This story makes me think of the time I made a cake for Mario and I was so happy at how it turned out because I don't bake much but when I took it too him the bottom of my cake holder fell to the floor with the cake.
    The whole cake fell to my feet. I started to cry cause I put so much work into making this cake.

    Lesson to be learned here: Anyways have one hand on the bottom of the cake.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Renee

    Ok i wanna see a picture!lol



    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TREY!!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Christi

    There is no picture of this cake. I told Trey I was so embarrassed at how it came out, I wasn't about to show it to the rest of the world!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger karla

    Happy Birthday Trey!

    Oh Christi, you sound like a rockstar cakemaker. The last cake I baked for Mark was nasty. I didnt have a cakepan for starters, so I used a bowl. I had no icing either.

    I made a big round glob of cake dough and plopped a candle in it. Because it was so round, the center never cooked, so it was all goopey on the inside.

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography

    I want to see a picture of the cake. Sounds like an adventure.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Brandi1977

    Happy Birthday Trey! Sorry I am late :)

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger k8

    i demand to see a picture of the cake.