Saturday, July 30, 2005
BIG day!
Today, TJ officially began potty training! I wasn't going to start until tomorrow, but somewhere in the middle of the day I decided I'd make his little potty chart, and it began. We made a chart that has pee-pee, poo-poo and washing hands on it. Then he colored it (Well, all over it, actually) and I explained to him what we were going to do with it and told him that he gets little colored stars for each thing he does. After we hung up the chart next to his bathroom, he was totally not interested in trying to go pee, which was fine with me. However, while bathing this evening, he suddenly wanted to (I think so he could find a reason to get out of the bathtub for a minute!). He stood up just like Daddy does (which was so awesome, b/c I didn't know how I was going to teach him that!), aimed and peed right into the little hole! Sure, it was only, like, two drops, but I was so proud of him! Then we washed his hands and he put his two little stickers on the chart! It was very cool. After his bath, he put on his first pair of big-boy underwear (pull-up). I tried a few more times to get him to go, and he went and tried once, but to no avail. No problem, though. Tomorrow is another day. Of course I called both of his grandmas to tell them the good news, and I can't wait till his daddy gets home so I can tell him! Now you know, too! Isn't it exciting! I'm so nervous! My baby boy is growing up! Now I have the fun of asking him four hundred times a day if he has to use the bathroom, and having to find the restroom at every public place first thing!

On another note, the boy now knows which cd is what game for his computer games. He knows where the cd's go, and how to open them on the computer (as in, where to click and what to click on) and how to close them. This, to me, is all a little scary. He picks up on stuff wayyyyy too fast! Pretty soon he won't need me at all.

I want to do something artsy and crafty with TJ. Something that involves glue sticks and construction paper and scissors kinda thing. Any ideas? I mean, I can think of something, I'm sure, and it doesn't really matter what, but I want to do something cool. He was so excited about making that little bracelet at church on Sunday, and I think he's ready to do more than just color in his coloring books and draw scribbles on stuff. Today, he saw his bracelet on the side of the fridge, and he said, "Don't mess up my bracelet. Take good care of it." He's so proud of himself, and I want to do something cool with him like that. I'm just afraid that I will try to do something above his level. Any ideas?

Okay, I guess I'm gonna go now. It's late, and I need to sleep for a few minutes before the baby decides to wake up again! Have a great day, and I'll talk to you later!
 
posted by Christi at 1:14 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger Melodee

    You could make collages--cut up paper, stick it on a paper plate. You could use other stuff--string, cotton balls, yarn, feathers, whatever you have around. My kids love glue!

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger karla

    Can you make a chart for me to colour for flossing my teeth? Maybe if I see little stars of encouragement for actually doing it, I would feel more motivated...

    Congratulations to TJ! He's too cute! Too cute I say!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Frances

    I am SO impressed at TJ standing up to pee! My boy is not even close to doing that, and he's been toilet trained for 6 months now. Mind you, I find him sitting down is easy, and not too messy!

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    Dr Phil would have TJ call the grammas. Sounds like a good positive reinforcement idea to me. Set it up with them to make a big fuss.

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger MiMi

    I just want to let you know that you don't have to worry about finding the restroom in every public place you go to. Kids are like kittens when you litter box train them--you stroke a paw in the litter one time and that's all it takes. With a kid, you take them to a bathroom in a store/restaurant/office one time and after that they're automatically drawn to every other public toilet in the world as soon as they're within 100 feet. You and your brother knew where EVERY bathroom was located everywhere we went--even the places we had never been before!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger karla

    I can't belive he's getting the hang of potty training so fast! My husband is STILL trying to learn.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Yeah, TJ!!!

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Tammy

    Hooray for TJ. I love the chart idea. I will have to use that when it's time for Ethan. Mind you I am not looking forward to the whole potty training thing. It was not easy with Mackenzie. I am hoping Boys are easier.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Kurt

    Hooray for potty training.