Saturday, July 16, 2005
HOLY COW!

Okay, so tonight we went to see Ashley and Leah for a while. It was fun. Then we stopped off to see my sister at work for a few minutes before she got busy. It was about 11 o'clock when we left there to head home to my mom's house. Directly after the exit to get off to go to my mom's, traffic on the interstate was at a dead stop. I joked and told Trey they were people waiting to go on the new bridge tomorrow. We had a little chuckle. Then, when we got home, my mom said that they had closed off I-26 for the bridge tomorrow! Ummm, it wasn't even midnight yet, and you don't just close an interstate off like that! This traffic was a good fifteen miles back from downtown Charleston! That is just INSANE!!! We were thinking we might try to go see the bridge tomorrow...never mind! My mom said they are expecting about 5000 people for the invitation-only affair they are having at the bridge tomorrow, but they only have parking for 1000. That should be interesting! Guess we'll see it on a future trip!

So anyway, my stories of the bridge. Apparently, the smaller, Grace Memorial, bridge, used to be two-way traffic back in the day. Now, I would like to point out (and check what Julia wrote on the last post for further agreement) that in today's times, with our small cars, that bridge was hardly ever big enough for two lanes of traffic, going the same way, that is. Therefore, back in the days of hoopties and big ol' cars, the thought of going two ways on it is terrifying! My mom said that when she was little, she could literally stick her hand just barely out of the window and touch the passing cars! According to Wesley (re: his comment to the last post), our dad used to drag race on it. That's scary!

Now, well, I guess not anymore, but...it's only one-way, but still two lanes. I used to babysit over in Mt. Pleasant, so I actually got quite used to driving it for a while there, and it wasn't too scary to me. However, that was long after my first few experiences on it. Once, I went on a field trip to a park out in Mt. Pleasant, and we had to go over the newer bridge. We were on a funky school bus, which sucked enough as it was. To top that, it started to rain on the way there (which ended up cutting the trip short), and the roads were very slippery. Traffic was stopped on the bridge, and a kid behind me told me that there was a hole in it. He said that they didn't have anything to fix it with, so they just put some glass over it. That was all it took for me. I was terrified beyond belief! I was so convinced that we were too heavy to drive over that glass w/o breaking it, and we were going to fall into the water. Plus, I couldn't swim! This was in, like, second grade, and I still remember it like it was yesterday...

Yet another memory of the bridge is one night while I was out with some friends. Well, sorta...I was with Julia, my best, best, BEST friend, and our brothers, Micah and Jimmy. We had just dropped acid, and it was my first time (one of the very few, I might add). To top that, we were already at the Isle of Palms when we did it, and to get home, we had to go over the old bridge. I want to add that when the wind blows, not even hard, you can feel the old bridge move. I read today that on a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being the safest and most up to code, the new bridge was rated at a 4, and the new bridge was FAR, FAR better than the old one! Anyway, I digress...So we had to go over the bridge to get home, and I was driving. The acid was just starting to kick in for everyone, and our brothers were going NUTS in the back seat, screaming and singing and jumping around. It was particularly windy that night (or maybe it just seemed that way!), and it was the first time I'd ever driven over the bridge. We were listening to The Cranberries, and when we hit the bridge, we were listening to Zombie. Micah and Jimmy went crazy, as if they were in the band, playing a live concert in front of millions! I was not down with that. So I quickly changed it to one of the really slow and relaxing songs at the end of the CD, Dreaming My Dreams, and focused on staying calm. Julia sat in the front seat beside me and coached me! She kept saying, "Christi, you're doing really good. Just stay straight. Good job." Oh, and like Lillian in Julia's comment, I, too, drove right down the middle of the two lanes. Fortunately, there wasn't a cop at the end that night...that would have been pretty fun, eh? (As a matter of fact, for a long time I just thought you were allowed to drive down the middle at night!) In my mind it's quite funny, or something like that. Yet another memory that is like it happened yesterday for me!

Well, I guess this is enough for now. I could probably think of a bunch more, but I'll stop here. This is longer than I thought it would be. If you haven't already, feel free to add. I'm definitely going to miss those bridges. I have lots of memories from them. One day ask my neice what happens to little girls who are bad...she REALLY doesn't like the old bridge! Alright, you guys have a great day! Talk to you later.
 
posted by Christi at 12:13 AM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Mark

    I guess I should post my memory of the old bridges before they come down.

    Me and my Mr. Potatoe head had just finished putting in the last bolt on the bridge (the two of us were the ones responsible for building it). The wind blew up and the bridge seemed to sway very actively. It was fun.

    I looked more closely at the hole remaining to be filled in the bridge. The hole was labelled "Insert Sway Prevention Bolt here".

    I looked closely at the bolt and it was labelled "Sway Prevention Bolt".

    I was having so much fun on the bridge with it swaying in the wind that I decided not to insert that final bolt that would have locked the bridge down tight.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the swinging as much as I did.

    Your new bridge probably won't sway the same and that brings a tear to Mr. Potato Head's eye as well as mine. We will miss the old bridges very much.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Unknown

    So it was your fault! Did you know any of the guys that died in the pillars and are still buried in there?

    Christi, I can't believe you told that story! Aack, I'm so embarressed! Let it be known that we were stupid, and fully acknowledge that. I won't even drive under the influence of cough medicine let alone drugs or alcohol anymore.

    I think of that night every time I see the bridges. I was terrified, but I kept my cool pretty good I think.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Just thought of another one. Have you ever heard that if you can hold your breath over the entire span of the bridge it's good luck? I can't even make it halfway.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Christi

    Oh man! I meant to tell about the people in the bridge. My mom was telling me it's some kind of mob thing or something. I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks for reminding me! I asked my mom the other day how many people she thinks are buried in this one. She said that she does think that one person died when building this one, but he's not buried in it!

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger gina

    rofl! buried IN IT? sounds like an urban legend.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger k8

    the video music scared me. i have nada to say re teh bridge cuz i dont live there.

     
  • At 1:56 AM, Blogger Jana

    Ok, I have one! I have one!

    I got stuck on a traffic jam on the bridge back in 1986 (ok, risking showing my age here) and sat there for almost two hours.

    But I didn't care because it was after one of the absolute best nights of my life. All I did was look out at the water and smile.