Monday, June 06, 2005
Here I am
I am posting not so much b/c I have anything to say, but b/c I have to. It appears that if I do not post regularly, people start thinking things lately. I would not want someone to get confused and think things, b/c there's nothing to be thought. Yes, that's right...SHE'S NEVER COMING OUT!!! Rest assured, I talked to K8 tonight, and if she does ever decide to come out, I am to call her as soon as I go into labor, and she will be my up-to-the-minute blogger on the scene (sorta) to let people know what's up. That is, of course, unless she's at the beach, or out with a friend, or something more exciting than blogging for me...

I can't really think of anything that TJ said today which was that exciting to tell. Well, I thought it was kinda cute when he walked up to someone at the store and asked, "Do you know the muffin man?"

Okay, I had to go lay down with TJ for a few minutes so he'd go back to sleep. Apparently, he's too scared to lay in his own bed tonight, but can't tell me why. This leads me to a question, which may or may not be related to this incident. So the other day I found out that TJ was watching a movie while at someone else's house. This movie was one of the Chucky movies, Child's Play, I don't know which one. I was kinda bothered to hear this. I mean, alright, fine, he's only two, and I'm sure he has no understanding of the concept of the movie, or that it is even scary. However, he has no concept of what the word damn means, either, and yet, when I say it, he has no qualms at repeating it right back to me, and can even remember the word days later! So, it worries me a little that he was allowed to watch a movie about a killing toy. Even if he doesn't understand the whole concept of death and murder, he can understand the reactions of the people around him to it. For instance, when I see something funny, I laugh. TJ has no idea why it's funny, or even that it is, but yet, he laughs right along (I always think that's SOOO cute!). An example of this happened the other day when someone in front of me slammed on their brakes, and I was forced to slam on mine. I yelled out (or something like that) in a kinda freaked out scared way, and consequently TJ busted out crying, b/c my reaction scared him so much. Sooooo, I would then be left to assume that even though he doesn't understand that someone is dying or whatever, if someone around him reacts in a way that says they're freaked out by what they saw on tv, then he will remember that and associate it with what he saw on tv. TJ has nightmares all the time about little stuff, like when he went on for days about Nana's car being broken. He was pretty upset about that, and in his mind it was very vivid, even though, again, he had no idea what he was even so worried about. What really bothers me is that this movie isn't just any scary movie, it's about a TOY that kills people! Ummm, hello, he has a room FULL of toys! I don't know, maybe I'm over-reacting. Again, I figure he doesn't really get it anyway, but at the same time, it still bothers me a little that he was watching a scary movie. What sucks even more is that of all the scary movies in the world, that one is chock-full of profanity. I have been working VERY hard on controlling my mouth, and that is just so he doesn't hear such language. To have him hear it on tv doesn't help. What do you think? I have a feeling you will probably agree with me, but I'd really love to hear from you if you don't, too. This being a mom thing is not so easy at times, and being able to hear all sides of an argument helps.

Alrighty, you guys have a great day, and I'll talk to you later! I think that really cheesy stripper movie, Showgirls, is on. That should be something easy enough to fall asleep to!
 
posted by Christi at 12:01 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 4:05 AM, Blogger LK

    I agree with you on the movie thing. Haven't seen it myself but he is only two and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that is the reason he was scared to sleep in his room. Some people are clueless.

    And yep, he's a cutie.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger karla

    For someone who didn't have anything to say, that was alot to say. :)

    I'm right with you on the movie thing too. Child's Play? For a two year old?...

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger gina

    fellow bloggers, he was NOT at my house watching freaking childs play! wth?? i am ultra paranoid too about what my kids watch. we have a whole list of no-no's . there is plenty else to see and do.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Not overreacting at all. When Andrew was 2 I didn't want him watching The Lion King because of the scary scene. That may have been overreacting. I don't know what to say. I hope he wasn't paying much attention to the movie.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography

    I definitly agree that movie is not for any kids let alone a 2 yar old. I would definitly not be sending him to where they allowed him to watch such a movie until a definite line is drawn on what you want your 2 year old to see. If they cant comply dont let him be there without you.

    Scary how clueless people really are.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Christi

    Well, I meant I didn't have anything to say when I was writing that. Once I had to deal w/the no sleeping thing, then I had PLENTY to say!

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger k8

    the girls have one of those old school My Buddy dolls that looks like Chucky. yikes!

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Tammy

    I don't even think I would let my 5 year old watch that. I can't believe someone would do that. There are movies out there that are not even that bad and our kids still get scared. I hope you tell this person, the next time they will come over and deal with TJ not being able to sleep.
    The nerve of some people.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Unknown

    I think you should tell this person that you had a problem with that, and they shouldn't do it again. I know confrontations are difficult, but which would be worse, telling them privately, or having them hear about it from your blog? You never know who might find you by googling or some other way.