Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Well, let's see....
I had an overall pretty good day, with minimal annoyance from my students. I did spend most of the day pissed off, though. It seems that those in charge at DJJ think that teachers are responsible for the mistakes of EVERYONE. Before break, all of the balls were stolen out of the mice on my computers in my classroom by the afterschool program they hold in there. I have been there for a year, and not once have I ever had a kid even try to steal one while in my class. So it never occurred to me that they may try in the afterschool program, so I didn't secure them from being stolen. It is a known fact that the so-called teachers in the classrooms during the program are not even qualified to be called babysitters, and don't pay the first bit of attention to what the students, like it or not, criminals, are doing. Needless to say, I was quite a bit peeved, as now my computers were pretty much worthless. So I emailed the powers that be, and told them of my problem. I told them it is only right for them to replace them, as they were there before I left them in their care. So far, the issue has not been dealt with, even though I've asked about it everyday and been told I would find out what's up. My principal has been avoiding me like the plague, b/c she knows she's not going to do it, and she's going to cover it up with some REALLY STUPID excuse. She's not a good principal. Soooo, this weekend they had the first Saturday detention, which seemed like a good idea. The students had to scrub and clean all of the floors in the rooms on my hall. They looked great come Monday when we returned to school! We all had to deal with the normal stuff, like getting the right chairs and desks back in the right rooms, but no big deal. Then the teacher across the hall from me comes out and says that someone went in her closet this weekend and stole bags of candy and over $140 worth of printer ink. Her closet was locked when she came in Monday morning, and was also locked when she left Friday afternoon. The only way to get the door unlocked, is to have a key to the room, which no students would have. This means that some JCO (Junior Correctional Officer) who was in charge would have had to let them in, for no reason. It's not a pickable lock. She was what you might call upset. So today she confronted the JCO that was in charge this weekend, and asked him how something like that could happen. He told her that they are supposed to secure the room, and make sure everything is in check. They are also supposed to pat down and scan the boys before and after they are in each room. However, it doesn't always happen, and must not have in her room. She said, "Well, who's going to replace my $140 of ink that I need?" His answer, completely straight faced and serious, "I guess you." Just like that. He said whoever was in that room (we later found out it was him) is not going to replace it, and that's that. She went to talk to the principal and head of security about it, and the principal said, "Well, we told you the students would be in your room over the weekend." She failed to mention they would be unsupervised, even though at the time a teacher brought up the complete nonsense of having the worst kids in school rummaging through our classrooms! The head of security commented that he had learned from this experience, and will be more careful next time. End of story. So now she's out $140+ of important equipment that's necessary to do her job (even more so for us Special Ed. teachers, b/c we don't have books, so we have to create a lot of our materials), and I'm stuck with 4 computer mice that don't work. The negligence of someone else, as usual, is placed back on us to correct. Meanwhile, my students complain daily about the mice, and I don't blame them. Their daily reward when they finished their work was that they could play computer games (educational, of course). I can't afford to buy four new mice, and I don't feel like I should have to. Then there's the other teacher, who will now have to find a way to replace her valuable and expensive ink, all b/c someone else didn't give a shit. What's worst about the whole situation is that it is not new by any means. I have had so much stuff stolen from and destroyed in my room that it's not funny. When you start they tell you to secure your room, and leave it at that. Not having a criminal mind, you have no idea what that means. It's not like we are complaining b/c we had personal belongings in the classroom that were stolen, b/c we are smart enough not to bring those...they are all necessary materials for our jobs. They are also necessary for making tattoos and small metal weapons for the students. This is just one small reason why I will not be returning to DJJ when the baby is born. The outwardly lack of respect and support we have there is appalling, and VERY upsetting. Already, since the beginning of this year, the Auto Mechanics, Coach, and a Math teacher have left, all suddenly choosing retirement. I just found out that one of the head security officers is leaving Friday. By the end of the year, I, the Lead Math teacher (who has been there over 30 years and came back from retirement), the Music teacher, the Art teacher, possibly a middle school teacher, a Reading teacher, the Building Construction teacher, and possibly a few more, will all be gone. Being that there are only about 30 teachers there, if that, I think that will hurt them quite a bit. I relish the thought, though. I don't want to make it harder for the other teachers, but perhaps that is what it will take for them to realize how stupid they are (those in administration, that is). I can't wait!

Oh, and please, if you get a chance, go to Susan's Page and comment, and also check out Kirsten's Page and comment. I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say on each of these topics.

Alrighty then. I hope my ranting didn't bring you down. Just talking about it felt good (even though you can bet this isn't my first time talking about it!). I've heard from my fellow employees and how they feel about it, but I think we are all in the same boat. So if you have anything to add, or would like to tell me your take or thoughts on it, please do. That could be interesting. I hope you have a whimsical and monumental day, and I'll see you tomorrow!
 
posted by Christi at 8:43 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Unknown

    That is outrageous!!! Someone was in charge, not you, and you are responsible for fixing what they let get stolen. And the other teacher had her stuff locked up! Why do you not have books? Is it because special ed kids need other methods of learning or they just don't have the money or what?

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger K. Inez

    See, now this is why i could never handle being a teacher. I don't want to be around most people in GENERAL, never mind the young & annoying. Eesh. You are a braver woman than I (not to mention infinitely more patient).

    Btw, thanks for the link! :D

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger karla

    Im sorry that things have to be so crappy for you at work. I wish I had some amazing words of wisdom that would make the whole situation better, but I don't (Man...if I had the answer to red tape and politics in the workplace I'd be RICH)!

    What I did want to say is that no matter how your day went, I think its absolutely amazing that you finish every post with a wishing all your faithful readers and friends a wonderful day. Through all your hardships and struggles, you still find the time to take a moment and send well wishes to others! I think that is such an outstanding quality to have...it shows what a sweet and caring person you are!