Wednesday, January 12, 2005
I got BALLS!
Yes, that's right, I got my balls! My day was made better when my principal walked in and dropped four clean little grey mouse balls into my hand. We are back in action. I still don't like my principal, but she won one point today.

Another good thing is that I got to eat lunch with some of my buddies at Atlanta Bread Co. today. It was fun. I was craving that restaurant, and they suggested it. I was so happy. Wed. is my fun lunch day b/c we don't have students after lunch (we just get to work), so we can stay out a little longer and actually enjoy our food! What's funny to me is that the two women I went with are the ones who always motivate you when you're down, and would never bitch and moan about how bad things are. However, today even they were going on about how terrible stuff is. Of course, one is the teacher who's ink was stolen the other day, and still hasn't heard anything about it. I suppose she has a very valid reason, huh?

The best thing about today, though, was that I got TJ back! I thought he would have to be gone all week at his grandparent's house b/c of Trey's messed up days off. However, my wonderful mother agreed to come watch him Friday, and Trey has tomorrow off, so he got to come home! I am so thrilled! It kinda sucks, b/c since Trey's now the "acting" Senior Manager (w/o the title or pay, just the work!), his schedule has changed to where he will be getting Wed. and Thurs. off every couple of weeks, so we'll have to find something to do with TJ on those Fridays to avoid sending him an hour and a half away to be watched for five hours. That's okay, though, we'll work it out! Btw, did I mention how much I REALLY love my mom for helping us out!?

I had an idea today that I'm going to try to fly by my buddy at work. She was telling me today that I need to learn how to crochet, and then showed me some blankets some of the boys made in her class. She's always doing crafty stuff, I wish I was better at that! I saw a little blurb today on the news about a boy in Charlotte who sold lemon-aide to try to raise money to help the tsunami victims, and thought that it would be kinda cool if we could make some blankets to sell to send the money to help the victims. It would teach the boys some service lessons, and perhaps show them that helping people is a good thing and makes you feel good. I figured as far as yarn goes, I could probably get some donations from Wal-Mart or something, and I think she has the rest of the stuff. What do you think? I have been dying to be inspired to do a service project. I would have to relate it to a lesson, of course, to get it approved. That's easy, though, being a spec. ed. teacher, b/c nobody understands what spec. ed. is all about, so we can pretty much do whatever we want! I think it would be so fun, and help people. Another idea, if we couldn't sell them, is that we could donate them to local nursing homes. I hope she goes along with it. My only fear is that my kids would never get it. I must have faith, though, and I'm sure they could figure it out. If you have any other ideas, then do let me know, too. Oh, and Julia, the reason we don't have books is b/c technically each student in my class only works on areas where he has deficits. We don't have a set curriculum. Each student has an IEP (Individualized Education Plan), which has goals and objectives that we work to meet (ie-the student will master two-digit multiplication and division) in each area of disability (reading, writing, math, behavior, and transition). Our only responsibility, in theory, is to help the student master these goals. It really doesn't work that way, exactly, but we can't really use text books b/c we have no curriculum standards. Does that make any sense?

Okay, I've said enough. I have been in a talkative mood all day. I hope you all have an extraordinarily wondrous day, and I'll see you tomorrow!
 
posted by Christi at 11:30 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Sounds like a good day overall. Tell your mom she rocks.

    I understand why you have no books now. I thought since you were special ed you were their teacher all day. So you are kind of like a tutor for whatever they need. That sounds challenging.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Mark

    It really does sound challenging.
    I really like that blanket idea too. Helping others always feels good!