Thursday, December 16, 2004
I'm counting down the minutes now
There is now one day of school left. I feel as though I may need to have some sort of lesson plan prepared for tomorrow, but it doesn't seem to make me want to think one up. Perhaps something will hit me before the students show up tomorrow. If not, oh well. We are supposed to watch a movie in the afternoon, but I doubt she lets us watch one in the morning, too. I do know that there are less teachers going to be there than those that are out. I was told Wednesday by more than a few people that they would be calling in Friday, not to mention those that had already gotten permission to be out. It might be a little scary. Just gotta make it through tomorrow, though, and I'm good.

We got all of our stuff out of the old apt. today. YIPPEE! HOORAY! All I have to do now is turn in the keys. I'm sure that this will not be the end of our dealings with Hamilton Mill, as I'm sure that "No, we're not going to pay a break lease fee," will not suffice for them. Oh well, I'm ready. Also, they had a Christmas drop-in at our new apt. tonight. We went for just a little while. I met a couple of people, one family which had a 1 1/2 year old and a 3 year old. I talked to the mom, who seemed nice. When I mentioned that we should get together sometime, she agreed, but didn't seem to interested. It probably didn't help that I didn't have TJ there with me. I'm pretty sure he would have helped me seal the deal. I met another woman who lives in the 600 bdg., and we talked about the complex. She has been here since September, and she's really impressed with it so far. Me, too.

Alright, I have something on my mind of late. I have had this conversation with the same class a couple of times now in the last couple of weeks. As I would expect (being in the living areas they are, and having very little education), I have a lot of students who hate gay people, as they say. I'm not sure how the conversations have come up, to be honest, but this class is well aware of the fact that my best friend is gay. Somehow we stumbled onto this subject again today, and they started gay-bashing again. Thankfully, this is my favorite class, and this is mostly b/c they are the most reasonable and thoughtful class I have as a whole. I pointed out to them, again, that when I meet someone, I don't think about who they have sex with. In other words, when I meet a straight person, I don't think to myself, "Hmmm, John has sex with women. I'm okay with that. I think I'll be his friend." I judge people based on their personalities, and decide from there if I will get along with them or not. I can understand if you don't agree with what people do in their private time, that you don't care to do it yourself. I, personally, do not want to partake in the sexual actions that gay men or women do, either. However, we don't walk around with "I have sex with men", or "I have sex with women" tattooed on our foreheads. I can not understand why people are so judgemental of others, when what we do in our private time is just that, what we do in our PRIVATE time! I can see where there would be a problem if someone had sex out in public or in my face, but I would have a problem with heterosexuals if they did that, too. I just can't understand how people can blatantly say before even knowing them that they hate all gay people. I can, I guess, as they are speaking from ignorance, and not really thinking about what they're saying. By the end of class, one boy, who's particulary affected by things that make sense (I so love him!), had changed from, "I hate gay people," to "I mean, as long as he didn't hit on me, I wouldn't have a problem with a gay guy." Did I really accomplish anything? Who knows, but at least he changed from using the word "hate", which is so strong, and so wrong. What do you think, though? I mean, I personally have no desire to think about gay sex, and it's not really for me (otherwise, I would be gay). However, I just take offense at people automatically judging a person based on their sexual preference. I think it's hurtful and ignorant. Any thoughts?

Okay, well, that was my soapbox for the day. Hope I didn't ramble on too much. By the way, if you happen to read this, and you watch The OC, please let me know. I LOVE that show, and I desperately need someone to talk to about it. It's too good to go w/o discussion! Anyway, I hope you all have a fantastic day, and I'll be back tomorrow with my best thoughts I can give!
 
posted by Christi at 11:29 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Let me play devil's advocate to give you an idea of how some people think. Some people think gay sex is as gross as you and I might think sex with a dead person or an animal is. If you knew I liked to have sex with horses or dogs or dead horses (lol) then you would probably be grossed out by that even though it is personal. Would you hate me? Probably not because you are not a hateful person. A lot of people would though. Knowing how human nature is, I'd imagine you'd say, "You know that girl, Julia? She does it with dead horses! Can you imagine? That makes me sick to think about it." That's the way some people think about gay sex.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Christi

    Traci-Thursday nights. It's not on next week, but I will surely tell you when it comes on next if you will watch it. I know you will love it. All kinds of drama. It's like a soap opera at night for teenagers, sorta.

    I agree with everything everyone said, but Julia, your comment hit home the most. I understand completely what you said. It does make sense, yet it still really upsets me. I go to work everyday knowing that I am in a room alone with people who have robbed, raped, beaten and murdered people. Yet I don't judge them based on that. I do know that some people at school do, and I hate that. What gets me is why people are so concerned with what people do in their private time, and they use that to judge. If you had sex with dead people, I would think it gross, true. However, I'd first want to know why I knew that, and second, I would just try to overlook the fact that you do such a thing and try to find your good points. It's sad that everyone isn't like me! I mean, I guess I'm just as guilty, as I judge my brother-in-law's wife. She threatened to kill her baby, and that is the most heinous act in the whole world, other than actually killing her. I don't like her. Sadly, I would probably judge all people who threaten or do kill their babies in the same way. Okay, maybe I'm just as guilty. Fine! You've brought me out! I'm a guilty judgemental person, just like gay-bashers! I must go crawl in a hole and die now. I hate being human sometimes. Life as a cat must be so much easier...they just hate everyone!

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Haha! I'm glad you're finally seeing the error or your ways. Yes, gay sex=baby killing. It's about time someone realized that.

    Seriously, Christi, you're one of the most gracious, merciful, non judgemental people I know.