Thursday, March 12, 2009
Bad Mommy...
We went to the playground the other day, and while we were there, there were some baseball games going on on the fields next to us. I decided it might be fun to take the kids and let them watch a game. So, while we were watching, I was explaining to TJ how everything in the game works, and he became interested. He decided that he wants to play, but not till he's eight (he's six), or ten, depending on how old you have to be. I told him he can play now if he wants, but he was intent that he has to wait till he's eight.

So, anyway, flash forward to today. Julia found out about a throw together baseball game that they were having through a homeschooling group she's in, and told me about it. So we went to Walmart last night and picked up a little glove and ball for TJ, and rode up there today to give him a try playing baseball. There were about 12 kids, all w/in the ages of about 6 to 13, mostly 8ish. He was excited, and I took him to the outfield and explained what he had to do as he stood at second base. All seemed well.

So the game started. TJ stood quietly at second base, looking around and trying to figure out what to do. The kid on first was 13 and about twice the height of TJ, so he was doing most of the work. About five minutes into the game, a little boy hit a ball right to TJ. I yelled, "TJ, look at the ball!" It was too late. It flew right at his head and bounced off of his forehead. TJ was just standing there with a blank look on his face, and had never seen it coming. He, naturally, was very upset and wanted to give up and go home (we had a talk, and I wasn't having that...not after I bought a new glove and everything!). I, on the other hand, couldn't stop laughing! I feel so bad, but it was SO FUNNY looking when the ball bounced off his head! It just went, "BOOP!" It was like a cartoon or something!

I told Trey about it when we got home, and again, all I could do was laugh hysterically the whole time. TJ screamed at me "IT'S NOT FUNNY!" over and over again, but that doesn't change the fact that in my head he's a little cartoon, and everytime I think of it, I get uncontrollable giggles. I'm such a bad mommy....

I will add, though, he went on to play kickball after that game was over, and did quite well--two homeruns! I told him we'll practice this week, and next week, maybe he'll be able to actually play baseball....we'll see!

I don't have pics from today, but here are some just b/c:



This is Taryn in makeup. Oh lordy she looks older! I'm not down with that!
 
posted by Christi at 7:39 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I have to take TJ's side this time. But I'm the one who doens't like when one of those funniest videos shows has a little kid getting hurt and we're supposed to laugh about it.

    I'm glad he enjoyed the kickball!

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Kurt

    You need to stop watching America's Funniest Home Videos. Remember, don't laugh unless the person it happened to is laughing too!