Friday, November 03, 2006
To carry on...
Okay, so I left off at 5 1/2 cm. dilated, and ready for my epidural. I told bitchy nurse that I wanted it asap, and she replied, "But I'd rather see you go natural." Uhhh, yeah, about that...NO! I explained to her, b/t contractions, that I am a major pusher of epidurals, and tell everyone they should get one. I have no interest in being a hero and sucking it up...I love drugs!!! I also told her I wanted Nubain, which is good to make your head fuzzy till the epidural kicks in. She told me she didn't think I could get it b/c I was moving too fast (???).

So she goes out into the hall, w/Trey following, and calls my dr. Trey overheard her double checking w/the dr. that it was okay to go ahead and give me the epidural, and her saying that she'd do it right away. She came back into the room and told me she was going to call the anesthesiologist right after she asked me some questions that hadn't been finished earlier. At this point, the contractions were right on top of each other, and pretty damn painful, and talking wasn't my forte. She took forever w/the questions, and they were stupid, like, "Do you have anyone w/high blood pressure in your family?" Uhhh, couldn't we do this after the epidural kicks in? Anyway, I made it through, and she headed out, saying she was going to call the anes. right away.

Some matter of minutes later (kinda hard to keep up by then), she came back and told me I had to sign the consent form before she could call him! I signed, in very bad handwriting. She said she was on her way to call him then.

Some time later, a while, she came back again, pushing the epidural cart. I can't deny I got a little excited at this point. I was more than ready! After getting it where it needed to be, she said, once again, that she was on her way to call him right then. Uhhhh, WHAT!? This had now been over an hour, and she had yet to call the anes. Can you say more than pissed!

So, somewhere in there the anes. finally came. He then proceeded to poke and prod at my back, shoving tubes all over the place then pulling them out, for about half an hour or so (or so it felt, it could have been longer). At one point, as he put the tube in my back, I felt a sharp pain shoot down my left leg from the knee down, and then my leg went numb. I screamed and told him what had happened, and he said it was fine. Then he proceeded to leave that tube in and finish the process! At this point, I was at 9 1/2 cm., and everyone was coming in and getting ready for me to start pushing! Yeah, that's right. I asked for the epidural at 5, well, even before that, and didn't get it till 9 1/2!

So, I got the luxury of an epidural that really wasn't doing its job for about fifteen minutes. I suddenly decided that I REALLY had to go to the bathroom, and was told no. Why, you ask? Well, undoubtedly, I didn't really have to go to the bathroom...I had a baby to push out! So, with one BIG push, that I begged them to let me stop, out popped little Cole. He was the first baby I ever had that actually cried when he came out. Everyone was afraid to cut the cord (didn't want to get messy), so the dr. did it. I soon found out I'd had another red-headed baby (God save me!), and that he was a pudgy little one!

I can't be happier! He's so perfect, as all of my babies are! He seems to find it funny to stay up all night and sleep all day, but we're working on that. He also sounds like a cat in a fight when he cries, and a monkey when he makes any other noises. Too cute (and irritating at times!)!

So, that's my story. I think I am going to write a letter to the hospital about my service by the bitchy nurse. I'm sure it won't get me anywhere, but at least I'll have it off my chest. It really does make me mad about the whole situation.

Talk to you later, and have a great day!
 
posted by Christi at 3:46 PM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Me

    I think you should write and let the hospital know about the nurse, as long as it's done in a professional, clear and simple manner.

    The fact that she told you she wanted you to go natural, then lied and held off getting you an epidural for at least an hour or two shows that she was dragging her feet on purpose when she knew you clearly wanted one and there was no medical reason to wait.

    When I had my 2nd child I had a b*tch of a nurse. She was short with her answers, rude, and after the Coffeekid was born she handled him like she was handling a ham at the grocery store. Her suctioning skills made hubby think she was going to shove the tubes and suctioning things right through his membranes to his real brain.

    When we had baby #3 I asked about that nurse... the nurse told me in a way that let me read-more-into-it that she 'no longer worked for this hospital'. I gave her a tiny recap of my experience and it seems as if it was the norm. They canned her.

    So 'save' the next women... write your letter! :)

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Kurt

    Before one of my many many surgeries, I was brought the consent/release/whatever forms to sign, and I actually wanted to skim them before signing. The nurse did not want to wait for me to skim them. She left for a while and came back, but I was still skimming them. She told me that all the waiting was making her nervous, and if she got nervous she might mess up when she was putting in my IV. She meant it as a "joke," but really she was just trying to rush me.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger holy chaos

    omg, christi! you basically didn't have drugs... once you get that far what good was the epidural? that ane didn't sound too hot,either.

    cole is too cute!

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I loved when TJ saw him and said he looks like a tornado.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Cole is precious, Christi! He looks just like TJ and Trey to me.

    You know, the morning I was discharged from Palmetto Baptist in Columbia I had bad food (half-cooked french toast, no syrup, cold bacon) and let someone know; you know they sent me vouchers for a free meal at the hospital cafeteria. Um, NO! LOL!!

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger Margo

    Oh, my goodness me!! He is so adorable!

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger gina

    whatever!! this nurse was rude and since this is her third baby, i think she would know.

    there are 99.99999 % good nurses and then the one bitch who screws it up for everyone. i had one too and i just kept begging that she wasnt on when i was ready to push- my husband actually asked the charge nurse to switch it around cause she was such a ho. i ended up with the sweetest nurse who actually inspired me to start nursing school. there is no excuse for nurses to be "short" and rude to moms in this awkward painful moments of impending birth/.

    anyways the point is COLE Is perfect and precious!!

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger k8

    yes ! write the letter it will make a difference. you never know- maybe other people have already complained about her. nurses get paid too much to be bitches.

    he is soooooooooooo sweet i wanna smooch his fat cheekers.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Carrie

    he is adorable. period.


    well, hats off to you, and hands up that i don't have to deal with ANY of that when this kid decides to come out.

    definitely write the letter... I don't care if my momma or Pope John Paul came back from the dead to tell me they want me to go natural. drugs or no drugs is the MOTHER'S CHOICE. NOT the nurse!!!

    all that being said.. you're a trooper, and glad everyone is healthy. and adorable. can't forget adorable.