Monday, April 18, 2005
This blogging thing
It feels weird that I have friends that I have never met, and will more than likely never meet. It's new to me to think that I could care so deeply about someone who is an entire country away from me. Just to think that there are people here that I know in person, and I don't know nearly as much about them as I do these people from all over the world that I have never met. It's a surreal (is that the right word?) feeling, and one that both excites and scares me. I mean, how exciting is it to know people from all over the world! Hey, if I want to go on vacation one day, I might even be able to just crash at someone's pad in New Zealand, and get a tour guide! On the flip side, I do care about these people that I feel compelled and drawn to check on each and every day. I love to learn about their lives, and correspond with them. Sure, there are some that I actually do know. Sure, there are some that I don't, but that I know better than others. Some blogs I just read on occasion, some I read religiously...but all of the people I feel like I know at least a little bit about, which would be unlikely if this method of information transfer didn't exist.

So that's why I'm so upset today. I'm upset over someone I have not met, and never will meet. I'm upset for people I have never met. I have heard so much about them all, and even shared outside emails with them, but never met them. To be honest, as much as I'd like to meet them, the chances of that are slim, as they are an entire country away. However, something so terrible has happened to them, and they are in the worst place I can imagine right now. I spent all of last night, after I found out, crying and trying to figure it all out. I can't, and I can't be there for them, and it disturbs me greatly. I don't know what to do. What do you do when someone you really, really care about has a horrible tragedy happen to them, and you've never even actually spoken to them? I want to be there to help them. As it stands, though, I can't even afford the gas to get out of the city, much less out of the country. I've thought about sending flowers and a card, but it just seems so trivial at a time like this. What do you do to really show you care, and want to be there for someone? I feel like what we shared was this blog thing, and now I can't carry on my blog. I can't talk about my good news, knowing that theirs is so tragic. I don't feel at liberty to discuss others' personal problems, but if someone could help me figure out how to deal with this, I would greatly appreciate it. I've never even thought about how I would feel upon finding out such awful news about a fellow blogger. This is a whole new avenue that I'm guessing most of you also have never dealt with. I would appreciate your thoughts, though.

Okay, talk to you later. Have a great day.
 
posted by Christi at 11:07 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Brandi1977

    Please don't tell me the bad news is about Karla and Ava.....Please god!

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Kurt

    To me a blog friend is like a work friend - someone you spend time with but only in a certain way - you don't "know" them in the way you know your other friends. I think flowers and a card would be the perfect thing.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    It's a tough thing. Cuppa was most distraught. I guess you can only let people know that you care -- in whatever way that you can.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger k8

    i know i just read it and I'm crying too. I think emotions are emotions no matter whether you know the person face to face or not.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger k8

    hey check your email.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Tammy

    I so feel the same way. You one the other hand live so far from her and me who only lives 2 and a half hours away and still has no money to go there feels so bad about it. I feel like I should be doing something and has no idea what. I woke up so sad this morning. I couldn't get them off my mind all night. I am going to get some pink balloons today and let them go in her honour. I think that is the least I can do.