Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Lacking in inspiration...
I really can't think of much to say right now. I guess my life is at a lull or something.

I went to the library today w/Gina and her daughter Julia. They have a story time on Wed. mornings there, and I thought TJ would enjoy it. Gina took him once, and he supposedly was so great. Instead, he ran wild and talked the whole time, till I finally took him out of the room halfway through. I thought we might go find him a book to read together, and then go back in and hold the book while the librarian read aloud. No such luck. Instead, while I asked the librarian where the board books were, he found the toys. So, we built lego stuff instead. He was happy. I'm sure the librarian reading was happy. So, I was happy! I'm debating going back next week or not. I figure if we make a goal to make it through at least half of it, and if TJ realizes that it's something we do every week, then it might work. I just don't want to get on the nerves of everyone else in the room who actually wants to hear the book, and the librarian who actually wants to be able to read it! I'll ask Gina and see what she thinks. Any thoughts from you?

We went to Lancaster yesterday to run some errands, and Nana got her TJ fix for a little while. She was at his beck and call all day long, and to me it was so funny! No wonder TJ prefers to be there than here. Don't get me wrong, I play with him and the like, but she actually quit eating dinner b/c he wanted her to read him a book! No way! I'm sorry, but I don't stop eating for anything! It was fun, though. I also stopped by my old school I taught at my first year on the way there, Kershaw Elementary. I saw a whole bunch of teachers I used to work with, and they couldnt' believe that TJ was so big. My mentor while I was there was the Speech Therapist, and I showed her how all of her tips made TJ a very well-spoken little boy. I hope she cared, b/c if not, she probably got really annoyed with me repeating it every five minutes how well he speaks and how her tips got him there b/c I followed them! He liked her b/c she gave him a sucker and played with puppets with him, so he actually spoke to her. I got some grief for letting him still have a pacifier, but oh well. I'm not ready to fight that fight yet, especially since he will want it again after the baby is born I'm sure. They told me that the teacher who replaced me is now leaving (she's been there two years now) b/c she can't handle the kids. She has tons of experience and is getting her masters or doctorate or something, and also had TWO aides instead of the one that I had. They also told me the aide I had quit b/c of personal problems, and that the teacher who took my place couldn't work with her at all. That made me feel a little better. I know, that's not good stuff, but I quit b/c I couldn't work with her, either, and I really couldn't handle that class. Of course, it was my first year and I was pregnant almost the entire time! Then I had a newborn the rest of the year! I actually thought I would have been able to do much better the second year had I stuck around. I didn't like the atmosphere of the town, though. It's a really small town where everybody knows everybody else's business, and everyone's related. Not for me. It was nice going to visit, though. Everyone there was so nice, and it was so much better run than Birchwood was! They told me that if I ever decide to come back, they would gladly take me. That was really nice to hear (of course, I didn't mention the whole getting fired thing...I just said I'm being a mom now!).

Well, I guess that's it for now. TJ's napping, so I think I'm going to just chill out for a little bit and try to rest while I still can. I hope you have a great day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 3:10 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Christi! I wanted to let you know there's a Columbia-area SAHM Meetup tomorrow (done through Meetup.com) - 1pm at Blythewood Park in Blythewood. I've never been, but I'm considering going. Just thought I'd pass that along in case it's something that you'd be interested in doing.

    Email me if you need more information. :)

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Christi

    That sounds pretty cool. I might have to go check it out!

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Kurt

    I say take him to the libarary again. If he's disrupting things, you can always take him to build with legos or whatever again. Maybe he wasn't into it THAT time; next time might be different.

    That is reassuring to know that other people can't handle your old class either. Sounds like they need some kind of intervention.

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Unknown

    What do you want to get out of library time? Figure out your reason for going and then you will know if it's worth trying again. The first time I took Andrew to story time he was 18 months old. He was not at all interested in the story or the craft. My goal for him was to have fun in a group situation and see another person as a good example of a reader. It occurred to me that he has fun with groups in many other ways, and this wasn't fun to him. Also, he heard lots of stories at home. So I decided to not go back for official storytime. We still went to the library for books. A few years later we tried again and it worked great.

    I think you had one of the hardest jobs in the world. I don't know how anyone does it, let alone do it well.

     
  • At 3:14 AM, Blogger karla

    Reading your post made me smile. Even though it comes with its share of challenges, being a SAHM must be the most rewarding and special job anyone could have. I can't wait to start my new job as one thats for sure ;-)!