Thursday, October 07, 2004
Another day to struggle with anger...
Well, I thought the day was going well....I thought. Everything was hunky-dory until lunch time. My usually wild first period class was sweet and did all their work. My fourth period was just as well-behaved as usual, even with M. in there (whom I had moved there to suck in some of the good vibes that class has...b/c he's a TOTAL JERK!). It was all good. Then, after lunch I saw M. in the hall sweeping instead of in his English class. That's not right. But hey, that's not going to ruin my good day! Then sixth period came along. A., who usually never does anything, did his work. Admittedly, it was not right, and poorly done, but he sat down and did it for a change. So I let him play checkers when he finished. He seemed happy.

Everything was going alright...and then they started calling for kids to go. The way it works is that at the end of the day (and before lunch) they call the kids out by their dorms, b/c they can't be in the halls together. Too many fights. So once the first dorm gets called, work officially ends and you have to watch the rest of the kids until they are called. It takes forever. Today, while we were waiting, two boys started arguing about their snack, and how one boy, A. (the one who did his work), was going to take S.'s snack and eat it right in front of his face. It was so stupid! I thought they couldn't be serious, until they started shoving each other. I got them to calm down, along with the help of another student. Then, as I got to the door to get some help, they got up in each other's faces again. The next thing I know, A. (who is much smaller than S.) was flying through the air into a metal computer storage box in my classroom. Ouch! Of course, then the fight commensed. It didn't last long b/c the JCO's that I called down the hall for came running and split them up. It was a little freaky, though. I haven't ever had a fight in my classroom before. The middle schoolers (which these were) do it on a daily basis. I can't wait until I don't have to teach them anymore!

So then, I'm running late for class b/c I had to write them up, and I check my messages. Trey said that the rent check we were promised by his work (which was due Friday) is right there with him in his paycheck he got today. I asked him everyday for a week before it was due if I needed to pay it and then just get the money back. He always said he didn't know. I am too mad about this to go on, and I'm sure you get the point. I have one of those headaches again, though, and it was hard to see straight for a while. I am trying desperately to try to control my new-found anger problem, and can you see how these things do not help? I called Marie, a friend of mine, to try to calm me down before I killed Trey. I thought that was a good move on my part. I swear I don't need this challenge. Does anybody have any ideas to help?
 
posted by Christi at 5:47 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Wow! What a stressful day. Are the kids in your class big? Off the record, I say go with Richard's advice.