Tuesday, June 28, 2005
A stressful day...
First off, before they totally ruined the episode of Trading Spouses that I was really looking forward to watching tonight w/Bush's speech, they mentioned that the reason he was having it was to update us on what's going on in Iraq, and to try to up his popularity with the US public. I would like to point out that he is not helping his popularity rise by surprising me and running his mouth during my shows! I remember one week he came on during The OC, and I almost died! You don't mess with The OC! If he wants to be more popular, come on during something stupid, like the news. Now that I could stand to miss!

So anyway, it's been, what, four days now on my own. Trey's off tomorrow and Thursday, and I have to say I am SO HAPPY! I didn't think I'd make it! The first couple of days were okay, but now, I'm just flat worn out! It's not even so much that I'm tired, just frustrated. She cries, then he cries, then she cries, then he cries..."Mommy, play with me!" I feel like I'm spending more and more time each day giving TJ one-on-one time to let him know he's still loved and all, and then I'm just holding Reese to get her to stop crying and feed her. I want to pay attention to her, too. I'm amazed that I managed to get the dishes washed and the kitchen cleaned up, three meals made, muffins made with TJ, the kitchen floor swept and cleaned and a load and a half of laundry done (one's still in the washer). Oh, and I finally finished writing my thank you notes and watched House and my taped episode of The Inside. I even took part of their nap with them! I did all of that, which to me seems like a lot in retrospect. However, when I look back on the day, all I can really think about is how I feel like I spent it catering to two whiny little people. Man, how many hours are in the day! Someone just tell me that it gets better. I mean, I guess I'll always be doing this stuff now, but does it get more tolerable and less frustrating? I have to admit that there have been a few moments in the last few days where I'm really regretting having kids at all, and thinking about how much easier life was before them. What's really upsetting, though, is that I feel like I haven't done anything worth talking about. I mean, I didn't teach anyone how to write their name today, or save the world. I just cleaned the house a little and put up with two kids. At least on days when I take TJ to the playground or library, I feel like he's gained something. Today all he learned was how to boss Mommy around while playing with his cars ("Drive the car here. No, here."). Geez Louise!

I'm sorry to gripe so much. I guess I'm just in a mood today. My guess is it's the rain--it was so yucky today. I hope. I'm sure tomorrow will be better (Trey will be here!). I hope that your day was better than mine. I think I need to find some friends for real, so I can hop on over on days like this! I'm off to put up the whites now and take a shower. Have a great day! Later!
 
posted by Christi at 10:38 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown

    It will get better, I promise. It will take a long time, but it will get better. Before Alison was born, I read this book called "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff that explained how children were raised in a Yequana tribe in South America where they pretty much all grew up very well adjusted. One of the things that I thought made a lot of sense was keeping the baby close to you, but not doing all those things to stimulate them that they say you should do. Here's an article that explains it way better than I could: http://www.continuum-concept.org/reading/whosInControl.html

    Just thought that might help alleviate some of your guilt about not paying enough attention to Reese. I will say that Alison spent most of her time just being held or nursed, but a lot of the time I was busy with other things while I was holding her or doing something with Andrew. When Andrew was a baby he got all sorts of attention and stimulation. Now that they are older, it is plain to me that Alison is the one with the happier disposition. That's not scientific, but I feel they are partly related.

    Be prepared for some of the baby blues. When you feel awful, try to remember that your hormones are still wacky, and be kind to yourself. I don't have anything going on tomorrow, so if you want to call me for some adult conversation you can.

     
  • At 1:24 AM, Blogger Kurt

    I love The OC!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud

    It all sounds pretty normal to me. Cut yourself some slack; you're doing pretty darn fine as far as I can tell.

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Tammy

    I agree with the BUSH thing. Try living in Canada and having him come on to talk about a COuntry you don't live in. NOW that is a PAIN IN MY ASS. THe last time he came on I was watching SURVIVOR. NO ONE MESSes with my SURVIVOR.

    I can't believe you managed to get that much work done. You are doing better then me.....it takes so much for me to do a couple of things. Ethan is always crawling at my feet and then wants to be held.

    I think maybe you should try to give TJ something he can do on his own and then you can sit with Reese. That's what I did with Mackenzie for about 20 or so. I would get her to do a puzzle or something or colour on her own while I spent some time with Ethan. Now TJ is younger then Mack so I don't know what you could get him to do on his own.
    Try that and see how that works. OR even when TJ is napping.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Renee

    The first couple months with 2 kids for me was rough. I never thought it would get better. It did and it will for you too! It'll just take some time.*hug*


    As for TV and Bush, i was ALWAYS so nervous that he would come on during American Idol, of course i was also worried for some freak reason the electricity would go out too. Yes i am a FREAK!lol

    BTW- I emailed you. Just write back when you get a chance, i know you have NOTHING to do with a newborn and a toddler!LMAO

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger suze

    Some great advice here already. (I'm a little late, I know.) You are doing great. It's definitely a learning process -- how to balance everything, but you'll figure it out. Just go easy on yourself. Now if I could just heed this advice, too. :)

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger gina

    dont ya love it how everyone tells you its okay? ooh that used to piss me off...lol. esp when you feel like it wont be okay and no one understands. start asking for help. call your mom or gayle or some other whoever and tell them...er... i mean ask them to come get tj for the afternoon. when trey is off, tell him to get himself and tj out of the dang house. chuck e cheese. anywhere. you need a rest. part of the problem is tj is bored. it wont be okay= it will suck for a few months.... THEN and only THEN will it be okay.