Sunday, December 26, 2004
Christmas Number 3
Ahhh, finally, Christmas has passed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every minute of our extended Christmas, and it was a very exciting time for me, but I am just glad to be done with it. Now until next year.

So yesterday and the day before we went to Trey's parents' house. We didn't do much on Friday, aside from spend time with his family. I was kinda bugged a little when Trey asked me why we were going on Friday. I said, "Uhhh, I figured you might like to spend some time with your family before we had our hectic Christmas day." "Oh," he said. Alrighty then, excuse me for assuming he liked his family. We did watch A Christmas Story, though, and that alone was well worth the trip.

Friday was long and busy. I don't really remember doing much of anything, as breakfast was made for me when I woke up, and Gayle wouldn't let me help her do any of the cooking. Come to think of it, I didn't do much of anything except hang out, but man was it exhausting! Christmas dinner was nice. The food was all good. I had rice pudding for the first time. Trey loves it. Not for me. I sat at the kiddy table in the kitchen with Traci, her sis-in-law Candy, and Katie. Katie was the only "kiddy", although I do believe the rest of us probably fit just fine. I had a feeling Traci chose the kiddy table so as not to have to sit at the big boy table with J and Todd, and I kinda did, too. I was worried about how yesterday would go, as J and Todd were there, and there have been recent "family disruptions" b/t them and everyone else. It went well, though. Everyone was very civil, and you wouldn't have known that just months before Todd disowned his sister, whom he sat next to on the couch and chatted with yesterday. That was nice. I even did my best not to interpret everything that came out of J's mouth to mean that she was stupid, although it was hard not to. Trey told a very bad joke, and she tried to explain it to me, thus losing me more, and confusing everyone in the room with trying to figure out what in the world she was talking about. Anyway, no fights broke out, and everyone had a nice time, I guess (I didn't notice any uncomfortability--is that a word?).

So after dinner we opened presents. Everyone was way too full to think of dessert yet. It started out the way Bob likes it, with one present opened at a time, so everyone can see it and who it came from. Then Katie, who played Santa, was decidedly going too slow, and not rationing correctly, so Trey booted her and took over. He shoveled everything out and the mad rush was on. I had been taking pics of the kids as they opened their gifts (only the kids got gifts this year--a group decision), but once that happened, I lost track of it all. I think I kinda caught Gayle opening her ring Bob got her, which she didn't much care for, and I loved. This is strange, even to me, since I really can't stand jewelry. TJ got the Fisher-Price Learn Through Music that I wanted him to have, and he loved it. Gayle got KK a LeapFrog Little LeapPad, and I thought it was funny, b/c she wouldn't stop trying to play TJ's game. I tried to play with hers to get her to want to come play, but she could care less. I have to admit that I didn't much care for the LeapPad, as I told Gayle in my dissertation on why I wanted the Fisher-Price one, b/c it's a pain in the butt to get it to work. I'm not sure that J could figure it out enough that KK will ever get to use it! Other than that, the kids all got some clothes and video games, and we got Bob and Gayle a DVD player and some old shows to watch on it. It was great fun to watch all of them open their presents (until I lost track and they were suddenly all opened!). I loved spending time with family, even those I barely knew, and those I don't much care for.

So, even though I'm super glad Christmas is over with for the year, I'm really glad it comes each year. I really don't look forward to buying presents and all that crap. However, I really like spending time with family, as I don't get to as often as I would like, and it is fun to watch the little people get stuff (since it's okay to be greedy and self-interested in your little years). I feel good b/c all of the things I wanted for TJ, he got, and he loves every one of the things he got. It makes me feel like I really know my kid and his likes (now, that is!). He has been playing up a storm for the last few days, and could really care less that I'm around. It's so cute, and a little scary, that he will take his toys into his room now, and just play. Sometimes he won't even let us come in. He says, "I'm going to my room to play now," and that's our sign to back off and leave him alone. For those with older children already, I know you're laughing at me and my bewilderment at my child growing up so fast. For those with younger, or some on the way, just wait. It's the most wonderful and scariest thing in the world. TJ just will not stop growing up, as much as I beg him not to. What a fun life!

Well, I must go now, as I have to pack to go to my mom's for a few days. I hope you have a restful and charmed day, and I will see you tomorrow.
 
posted by Christi at 6:47 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments: