Friday, May 20, 2005
Naptime Dialogue
"Mommy, can I lay right here?"
"No, you have to lay on the inside, so you don't fall off."
"Okay, can we listen to the music?"
"Yes, go turn it on, and then close your eyes and look at your dreams...I love you, Baby."
"I lub you, too, Mommy."
"Oh, you're my sweet baby boy."
"Mommy, I have to tell you something."
"Okay, what is it, Baby?"
"It's Julia's fab-it."
"What's Julia's favorite?"
"It's Unc Wesey's fab-it."
"What is, Baby?"
(he proceeds to go through the entire list of everyone he knows...I proceed to get more and more annoyed....)
"Okay, TJ, it's time to close your eyes and go to sleep and look at your dreams."
"Okay, I look at my dreams. OH! I see my dreams! Mommy, can you open you eyes and see my dreams?"
"No, Baby, I can only see mine, and only when I have my eyes shut. So you have to shut yours so you can see yours."
"Look, I have one eye open. Can you open one of you eyes?"
"Yes, but then I can only see half of my dreams, and I want to see them all. So close both of your eyes so you can see all of your dreams."

He finally lays down and flips and flops around for a while, listening to the music, and not talking...I think he's asleep. I drift off. Thirty minutes go by.

"Mommy! I dink the music go-ed off!"
"It did, why don't you go turn it back on."
"I don't want to, you turn it back on."
"No, I'm not turning it back on. I'm comfortable. You do it, you're a big boy."
"I don't want to. You do it. I want you to turn it back on."
"How about we just go to sleep w/o the music this time?"
"Okay, no music...Mommy! The music's off!"
"I know, we're not listening to it, remember? Just go to sleep."
"No, you turn it back on."
"No, I'm not going to do it. You do it if you want it on. I'm going to sleep."
"But I don't wanna do it! (fitfully stated) You do it!"
"TJ, no. I'm going to sleep. If you want it on, you're a big boy, and you can do it."
"You do it!"
"No, I'm going to sleep. Let's just not listen to it."
"Okay, no music. Let's go to sleep."

Two minutes go by.

"Mommy, can I tell you something?"
"What, Honey?"
"It's Unc Wesey's fab-it."
"TJ, are you hungry? Let's go get something to eat..."

I remember the excitement at his first coo's and ga-ga-ga's! All the pride I feel when I see him carrying on full conversations, when other kids his age are barely saying two word sentences...What am I thinking! This newborn's going to look so...peaceful! Oh, but don't you worry about his poor little body not getting adequate rest...two hours later he passed out on the couch while I was in the midst of scrubbing up baby stuff to get ready and doing laundry. Isn't life grand!

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you soon!
 
posted by Christi at 11:09 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Unknown

    How cute! What does fab-it mean? Favorite?

    Andrew was one of those kids who could barely put two words together. People used to tell me one day I would wish he would just shut up. Not so. Then I had Alison. We like to play the quiet game with her, but she always loses!

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Mark

    That's so awesome! What music were you listening too anyway? Obviously TJ loves it whatever it was.

    So cute that he wanted you to see his dreams. That's a pretty special moment I think.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Christi

    We were listening to one of the many cheesy kid CD's that he has. Who knows, but it has an Old MacDonald song that has dinosaurs on the farm!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Tammy

    LMAO, at what Katt had to say. SOunds just like me before going to bed. Husbands yells from the room "Are you done yet?" Too funny.

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger k8

    hey i miss you like crazy too babe!!! smoochy smoochykins!!!!

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Sadi

    AWWW, I love that! My oldest is famous for saying "mommy, can I tell you something" but the last three words are all bunched together so it's more like "mommy, can I tellyosupthin?" I love those moments! I just wish they'd last a little big longer. :)

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger karla

    Now THAT totally melted my heart!